Author Topic: Do I have to do any programming of an active hub?  (Read 2537 times)

Offline danj

I soldered my first active hub together two weekends ago.  Took me a while, but that is because I haven't put many PCBs together so I am SLOOOOW...   Anyway, now that I have the PCB assembled, do I need to do any programming of anything before I power it up & put it into use?
LOR user with 16 AC channels
E682 user with 360 RGB channels

Offline t.jo13

• Coop Manager
You will have to program the pic.

Offline danj

Will I need a "tool" of some sort to program the PIC??  Thanks in advance!

Offline tbone321

The PIC is being used for Pixelnet to DMX conversions so unless you intend to connect DMX devices to the DMX port, you don't need to flash the PIC.  In order to flash the PIC, you will need a Pickit-3 and the firmware.  The firmware that you will need to load is available in the WIKI. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline danj

Thx TBone.  I do not plan to do any DMX conversions.  I intend to learn & use pixelnet to drive miniature smart controllers.  I really appreciate the help.  If I "do" ever need to flash any chips, looks like I would need something like the Microchip "PICkit 3 starter kit"...  ??

THANKS VERY MUCH

Offline loveroflife96

• Coop Manager
  • Brandon Christmas 2010
    • My Christmas Display Website
That's correct dan for the active hub...however; you will need the Pickit3 to program your SSC or whatever variation you are using.  So, might want to go ahead and get prepped for that and purchase one if you find a good deal.

DJ

Offline txag2008

• Lights of Nazareth
If this active hub kit was purchased though the recent coop that was ran by mmccrae, the PICs should have been programmed.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
Right, was going to mention that as well.  Its possible SSC(s) could also be pre-flashed with firmware ... but eventually you will likely need a pickit.  I've been surprised how much I've used mine!   If you have a nearby friend who has one, that also works.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline danj

Thanks so much for the replies.  Guess I will need to invest in a PICkit setup.  I plan to use some of the smaller controllers (SSC type) from another website.  Don't wanna get anyone wound up by mentioning details here....  I will have to see if those controllers will be delivered programmed or if I will need to get a PICkit.  Anyway, thanks again for the replies!

Offline tbone321

Before you jump into controllers from another web site, keep in mind that they may not be compatible with the equipment here.  Unlike DMX which is a well known standard protocol, Pixelnet is not.  RJ invented it and even though he made it available to anyone who wants to use it, that doesn't mean that the controllers that you are looking at does.  Also, the Pickit is specific to Microtec controllers which is what we use, there are other types such as the Audrino and they have their own programmers and tools to configure them.  Even the active hub that you built is setup to work with RJ's SSC's and connecting an unknown controller to it could damage either the hub or the controller if the wiring between the two are or the voltage required is incompatible.  RGB is considerably more complex than simple 4,8, and 16 channel DMX controllers and much of the equipment is not compatible with other pieces from other areas and you really need to do some research to find out what is before you start putting your system together.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
Re: Do I have to do any programming of an active hub?
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2014, »
You don't build a house without a hammer and you should not get into micro controllers without a programmer.  Just always use terminology that lets folks know exactly what you are trying to do when you ask questions.  I use flashing for putting firmware on a microchip (pickit type work).  I use programming to talk about configuring the chip after it has been flashed - the SSC utility and others.  I use sequencing to talk about creating a show - Vixen, LSP, LOR, etc.  You will be surprised at how often you will use a pickit to fix or upgrade things and you will never regret getting one although you will regret not having one.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2014, »
and a rgb tester can be a real lifesaver.  First thing I do it test all the RGB nodes I just bought.

If you have a bad node, you could chase that for days in the wrong spot, but its nice to know they work, or don' right away.

Last year I ordered about 30 strings and one had a bad node I had to splice out.

Tester I use: (LED-2014-X)

12v power supply for tester (many available, pick max amps you need).
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, by taybrynn »
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline danj

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2014, »
Thanks yet again for more GREAT replies!   I really appreciate your guidance.  Good points made on flashing, programming, sequencing, etc.....