Author Topic: Inexpensive Aether II Power Supplies for distributed locations  (Read 4703 times)

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
I've located an inexpensive Intermatic 88watt 12v transformer (ML88-T) for $22 each online.  It has good reviews on Amazon and I'm thinking I'd use one or possible two Aethers on each of these.  This seems like it would save me a bundle on wiring and almost make the Aethers standalone.

Is 88watt too small to run two Aethers?   

They do have the 120watt version (ML121RT) for $32 ($9 more).

I have 8 total Aethers, but because they are all over the place, so I'm leaning toward having more of these smaller transformers to keep my 12v wiring real simple (less wire=cheaper) and more localized.  I'll already have power in all of these locations, so hooking up a local transformer in all these locations is not an issue.

Aether#1,#2 - location A - 88 or 120 watt ?
Aether#3 - location B - 88 watt
Aether#4 - location C - 88 watt
Aether#5,6 - location D - 88 or 120 watt ?
Aether#7,8 - location E - 88 or 120 watt?

For $150 shipped I can basically get 6 of the 88 watt transformers (giving me a spare).

If you think I'm pushing it with 88 watts for two, then I could upgrade locations A,D,E for +$27 more.

I think I may have answered my question, as $27 seems rather little for the upgrade in 3 locations.

I'm also thinking I'd prefer these mechanical timers to the digital or photo eye ones because I sometimes run the show at borderline times, like early dusk.  I also like mechanical simplicity.

I was thinking of a bigger 600watt unit for 4 of them, but then the cost of a couple others still was getting rather pricy, then all the wiring needed.  This setup seems cheaper because I will need very little wire being co-located ... would SPT2 for attaching 1-2 aethers?
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline pk

• Patron Member
Scott -

According to the Wiki, each Aether II is estimated to consume 35 watts.  88 watts should be fine for 2 Aethers (70 watts). 

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
Thanks.  I did read somewhere 40 watts each, but wasn't aware 35 was on the wiki !
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline arw01

Using automotive style pigtails might make your life simple too, smaller than our 3 wire or 4 wire ones from Ray, can be bought of ebay, water proof etc.  I'm thinking I will go that route for my power on my aethers with little Y's set up, but Ray has added a 2 wire pigtail this season too with a T..  Hmm...

Alan

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
I was wondering if I could just use some of my spt2 vampire plugs and just plug in the aether that way .... Maybe wrap both ends in yellow tape to make sure it's clear this is 12v.    Horrible idea?

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
Greetings,,,

Never, ever make it possible for someone to plug 110 into 12.  You might grab a line in the dark an plug in, or someone else might not realize what the cord is.

Keith
"Now I know the only foe is time." -Moody Blues

Offline tbone321

I agree completely with Keith.  Just becaue you know what the yellow tape means, doesn't mean that anyone else will and tape can come off or get dirty and not look so yellow anymore. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
Thanks, I will NOT go with that idea!!  I have no problem using other connectors to make the connections with.  I also don't mind a direct splices with shrink wrap tubing if it can be done cleanly.  I'm thinking for short distances involved here that I could probably use SPT2 cable since I'm hooking up only 1 or 2 aethers to a very closely located transformer thats 88watts max.

Offline tbone321

SPT2 should have no problem with that current level.  I have seen that cable pulling well over 300 Watts with no issues at all.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline caretaker

Scott, stop by a local autoparts store and pick up some trailer connectors like the following: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Jeff Squires

Offline txag2008

• Lights of Nazareth
Scott, stop by a local autoparts store and pick up some trailer connectors like the following: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

That's a good option, but you'll probably want longer than 6" leads.  If you plan on soldering them straight to the PCB, 6" is hardly enough to make it out the backside of the aether case.

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
Thanks.

This is the place I ordered from.  Good prices.

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
Update -- very fast shipping, ordered (6) of the 88 watt intermatic (s) ... and all tested out just fine.  Very good prices compared to Home Depot. 

Offline therealbigjim

what connectors did you end up using?
"If you want more lights sell that old mustang"

Offline tmcteer

For my temporary H & C displays I use SPT2 home run 50' to the transformer. I have 3' SPT2 coming out of the Ather that I wire nut together. Been doing this for 3 years. I have even put 2 Athers on the single home run back to the transformer. This allows quick and easy changes. I just make sure the joints are up and off the lawn.

Thom :)