Author Topic: Livingroom rgb setup  (Read 6451 times)

Offline slothnet

Livingroom rgb setup
« on: May 24, 2014, »
I hardly know anything about electronics and its been more then 10 years, in highschool, since I soldered.   So I'd like to know if this setup will work before I start buying stuff:       abbreviations: (CN)controller  (s)strip  (AM)amplifier  (p)power supply

(s_5)-(s_6)-(AM)-(s_1)-(CN)-(s_2)-(s_3)-(AM#2)-(s_4)
                     |_________|_______________|
                                              |
                                            (p)

s  : dummy RGB 5050 led strip @ 72w/5m  6a/5m
p  : 36A 12 Volt DC power supply
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
CN  : 18A music led controller 3 output
AM  :  12A amplifier

Questions:
1. The controller has 3 outputs.  Couldn't I just use two outputs and couple strips 2 & 3, as above, instead of running a separate rgb wire extension to strip 3?

2. Its taken me a while to just find, calculate and plan this setup.  After I get this up and working I'd like to get a little more sophisticaed so can anyone suggest a comparable DMX or any other controllers (that may or ideally may centralize power and convey it via cat5 cable) and HW that will work with SMART IC RGB strip pixels with a music sensor that would animate/display led chases and other neat effects based on music tempo, frequency, etc etc without having to pre-program the choreography of pixels to specific songs with software.  Something I can just buy and put together for simple ceiling perimeter lighting that will work once its put together, turned on and animate once music starts to play.

3. Since I didn't know any better I bought a 12A music led controller already by mistake what happens if I try to connect 3 6A strips to this controller as so?

(strip_1)-(controller)-(strip_2)-(strip_3)     [strip2&3 are coupled]
                        |
                     (pwr)

Offline tbone321

Re: Livingroom rgb setup
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, »
I hardly know anything about electronics and its been more then 10 years, in highschool, since I soldered.   So I'd like to know if this setup will work before I start buying stuff:       abbreviations: (CN)controller  (s)strip  (AM)amplifier  (p)power supply

(s_5)-(s_6)-(AM)-(s_1)-(CN)-(s_2)-(s_3)-(AM#2)-(s_4)
                     |_________|_______________|
                                              |
                                            (p)

s  : dummy RGB 5050 led strip @ 72w/5m  6a/5m
p  : 36A 12 Volt DC power supply
CN  : 18A music led controller 3 output
AM  :  12A amplifier

Questions:
1. The controller has 3 outputs.  Couldn't I just use two outputs and couple strips 2 & 3, as above, instead of running a separate rgb wire extension to strip 3?

Sure, but you will need to put one of those amplifiers you bough between strip 2 and three or you will overload the controller.

2. Its taken me a while to just find, calculate and plan this setup.  After I get this up and working I'd like to get a little more sophisticaed so can anyone suggest a comparable DMX or any other controllers (that may or ideally may centralize power and convey it via cat5 cable) and HW that will work with SMART IC RGB strip pixels with a music sensor that would animate/display led chases and other neat effects based on music tempo, frequency, etc etc without having to pre-program the choreography of pixels to specific songs with software.  Something I can just buy and put together for simple ceiling perimeter lighting that will work once its put together, turned on and animate once music starts to play.

This is really not what we do here.  Our equipment is not UL registered and cannot be used anywhere but your own home.  Nothing we have will currently auto-sequence nodes based on music and I'm not sure if anything like that currently exists for node based applications and if it does, it will be $$$$$$$$. 

3. Since I didn't know any better I bought a 12A music led controller already by mistake what happens if I try to connect 3 6A strips to this controller as so?

(strip_1)-(controller)-(strip_2)-(strip_3)     [strip2&3 are coupled]
                        |
                     (pwr)

The specs on the controller show it to be 6A per output so strip 1 should be good to go as it is.  If you want to connect strip 2 and 3 together on one output, put that amplifier between the controller and strip 2 since the amp is rated for 12A and will take the load off of the controller output.  You could also put the amp between strips 2 and 3 but since the amp will need a power run, that would kill your wire savings and you might as well just connect strip 3 to output 3 of the controller.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline slothnet

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, »
Sure, but you will need to put one of those amplifiers you bough between strip 2 and three or you will overload the controller.

Thanks for your time & insights.   

Just to be sure I got it right :

1. Though the 18A controller with 3 outputs can handle 3 6A strips, each 6A strip has to be connected individually to each output?

2. When connecting 2 strips to a 12A amplifier, with one output, the 2 strips can be coupled or do I have to run a separate rgb extension from the amplifier to the 2nd strip?

3. This might be a redundant question but I rather be sure.  If I manage to find 3A strips I'm assuming I can couple 2 strips to each of the outputs of a typical 12A controller (with 2 outputs) instead of having to run a separate extension to from the controller to each strip individually?

4. Whats your opinion on using several smaller power adapters vs using a larger switching power supply?
I assume a power supply would be a better option from a maintenance perspective but and guess they would be more reliable.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2014, »

Thanks for your time & insights.   

Just to be sure I got it right :

1. Though the 18A controller with 3 outputs can handle 3 6A strips, each 6A strip has to be connected individually to each output?

This is correct.  The total load of the controller is rated for 18A and each channel can handle 6A.  This controller will allow you to max out each of the channels.   

2. When connecting 2 strips to a 12A amplifier, with one output, the 2 strips can be coupled or do I have to run a separate rgb extension from the amplifier to the 2nd strip?

Yes, they can be coupled as long as the total load doesn't exceed the rating of the amp which in this case is 12A. 

3. This might be a redundant question but I rather be sure.  If I manage to find 3A strips I'm assuming I can couple 2 strips to each of the outputs of a typical 12A controller (with 2 outputs) instead of having to run a separate extension to from the controller to each strip individually?

If you find 3A strips, you can couple them on your existing controller as well.  All the controller cares about with dumb strips is the current load.  Just make sure that the voltage the new strips require is correct for the controller.

4. Whats your opinion on using several smaller power adapters vs using a larger switching power supply?
I assume a power supply would be a better option from a maintenance perspective but and guess they would be more reliable.

In the case of dumb strips, it's really 6 of one, half dozen of the other.  We tend to use PC ATX power supplies here because you simply will not find more bang for the buck.  Multiple supplies will raise your cost while not really offering much more in reliability. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline slothnet

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2014, »
Thanks again!