Author Topic: NEED Help with programming my AETHER 1's  (Read 4267 times)

Offline pete peters

Guys;

I have six Aether 1 lights.  I have got the Aether's to work fine by using the firmware from the WIKI which sets the start address to 1. I want to change the addresses on the Aether's to something other than 1,  I switch the jumper from operate to program and all the leds turn blue and begin to flash at a high rate. I waited hoping they would stop but they continue to flash.  All my Aether's do exactly the same thing. I have reflashed them all with no change. The checksum is correct.  I know I am communicating because I can ramp the lights up from low level to high level on the colors.  I have used the programming procedure on the WIKI.  Another thing, I have flashed the Aether's with the Test program from the WIKI and the lights do absolutely nothing.  They wont respond to commands, I can.t use my override switch to turn on the leds to white-- nothing.  The red led is on so I know they have power.  I reflash them with the operate program from the WIKI and they all do as I described above. WHAT is WRONG????  HELP PLEASE!!!!!

Pete Peters

Offline tbone321

Re: NEED Help with programming my AETHER 1's
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, »
If you are using the instructions in the WIKI, I suspect that you are using the Express config utility.  What are you using to send the start address to the Aethers?  It will only work using the DMX dongle.  It you are using the EtherDongle, then you are SOL.  Make sure that you have set the correct port number in the configuration utility to what your USB dongle is using.  I would set the start channel in the configutility and and press the transmitt button on the utility prior to moving the jumper to program on the Aether.  Also, don't forget to repower the Aether after configuration so that it will read the new start channel.  The color not changing to white when configuring is indicating that it is not receiving the configuration data.  As for the test firmware, it will not respond to commands when it is loaded. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline pete peters

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, »
TBone,

Thanks for  your input!  I have successfully readdressed all the Aethers.  I am using the Lynx Express ConFig Utility.
However a new wrinkle, all the colors with the exception of white are off at 195 through 227.  The colors ramp up to 195 than turn off till they hit 227 than are back on till the 255 intensity. I've gone through the procedure many times with the same result.  Any Ideas on what's going on now??

Thanks Much

Pete Peters

Offline tbone321

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, »
What did you set the light curves to in the configuration utility?  They need to be set the the Aether light curves.  If they are all still set to 'Default", this may be the cause of your issues.  If you don't see the Aether curves in the utility then update your curve list.  That can be done in the options sub menu of the utility.  Then set curve 1 to Aether 1, curve 2 to Aether2, curve 3 to Aether 3 and curve 4 to Aether 4.  As always, be sure to power down the Aether and restart it after updating and before testing so that it will read in the new configuration.

Offline pete peters

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
What did you set the light curves to in the configuration utility?  They need to be set the the Aether light curves.  If they are all still set to 'Default", this may be the cause of your issues.  If you don't see the Aether curves in the utility then update your curve list.  That can be done in the options sub menu of the utility.  Then set curve 1 to Aether 1, curve 2 to Aether2, curve 3 to Aether 3 and curve 4 to Aether 4.  As always, be sure to power down the Aether and restart it after updating and before testing so that it will read in the new configuration.

tbone;

Which Aether light curve should I  use?  RJ had indicated that I should not use any of the curves on the list. He indicated that I should only use what was on the PIC when flashed.  Is there an other place to get a more up to date list that has the proper aether curve?  I have tried all the curves listed and they all give similar results to what I have described before.
Here is the thing-- after I flash the PIC the channel is set to 1 and if I don't do anything the light ramps up and down perfectly.  As soon as I use the address utility the curve changes and I get what I am describing above.  I made all the lights wireless so I have no cable connections.  What do you think now??

Thanks Much

Pete Peters

Offline tbone321

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2014, »
I believe that the Aether curves that I listed in the previous post and where to put them are the curves that the hex file comes with.  They are named Aether1 thru Aether4.  The only other possible options are to use either Xlights or Vixen to try and set the start channel or edit the HEX file directly to set the start channel for each unit.  When you say "all the curves", I don't know what that means?  Also, make sure that you set channels 1 thru 4 to the curve with the corrosponding number ..... channel 1 to curve 1, channel 2 to curve 2, ect.  There is no need to set any of the channels above 4 because the Aether only has 4 channels, R G B W. 

I'm not sure if it will work but to use Xlights or Vixen, go into the test function of the software and use channels 1 and 2 to set the address.  Make sure that the dimming level range is 0 to 255 and not in percentage.  Set the dimming level of channel 1 to the required start channel for the device and make sure that all other channels are set to 0.  If the start channel is greater than 255, set channel 1 to 255 and set channel 2 to a dimming level that when added to 255, comes out to the desired start addess and as before, all other channels set to zero.  Then start the test cycle running and treat the Aether the aame way as if you were using the config utility.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, by tbone321 »

Offline pete peters

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2014, »
I believe that the Aether curves that I listed in the previous post and where to put them are the curves that the hex file comes with.  They are named Aether1 thru Aether4.  The only other possible options are to use either Xlights or Vixen to try and set the start channel or edit the HEX file directly to set the start channel for each unit.  When you say "all the curves", I don't know what that means?  Also, make sure that you set channels 1 thru 4 to the curve with the corrosponding number ..... channel 1 to curve 1, channel 2 to curve 2, ect.  There is no need to set any of the channels above 4 because the Aether only has 4 channels, R G B W. 

I'm not sure if it will work but to use Xlights or Vixen, go into the test function of the software and use channels 1 and 2 to set the address.  Make sure that the dimming level range is 0 to 255 and not in percentage.  Set the dimming level of channel 1 to the required start channel for the device and make sure that all other channels are set to 0.  If the start channel is greater than 255, set channel 1 to 255 and set channel 2 to a dimming level that when added to 255, comes out to the desired start addess and as before, all other channels set to zero.  Then start the test cycle running and treat the Aether the aame way as if you were using the config utility.

tbone;

I misunderstood your directions.  I have used all the Aether 1 curves listed but not the way you describe.  I will try the new procedure you describe when I get home this evening and let you know what happens!!!

THANKS MUCH

Pete Peters

Offline pete peters

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2014, »
tbone,

I used the Aether 1 curve on channel 1, Aether 2 on channel 2, Aether 3 on channel 3, Aether 4 on channel 4 using the Lynx Config. Utility and nothing changed.  In fact the dead spots in the ramp up and ramp down got larger.  I haven't used X Lights and not sure how to go about the procedure you were describing in your previous post.

I really appreciate you taking the time to help!!

Let me know what you think I should do from here?

Thanks Much!!

Pete Peters

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2014, »
If you use reflash the pic and once you load the firmware into your pickit, before you write it to the pic scroll through the memory info and find location    #0x2800

It should have a value of 1 in hex, change this to what channel you want that aether to be and then flash it. This will set the address and leave everything else alone.

Let me know.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline pete peters

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2014, »
If you use reflash the pic and once you load the firmware into your pickit, before you write it to the pic scroll through the memory info and find location    #0x2800

It should have a value of 1 in hex, change this to what channel you want that aether to be and then flash it. This will set the address and leave everything else alone.

Let me know.

RJ

RJ,

I followed your directions and got ALL the Aether's addressed.  At first I could not get the procedure to work.  Until I realized that I needed to enter the addresses in Hexadecimal not Decimal numbers.  Everything now works well!!
THANKS VERY MUCH for all you time and help!!

Pete Peters

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2014, »
Glad to hear sorry it was being a pain!

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline Voltorb

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2014, »
RJ, is there a similar address for Aether II firmware?
It's not the fast pace of life that bothers me....
....It's the sudden stop at the end!

Offline tbone321

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2014, »
It's in the same file location for the Aether II