Author Topic: 10 LE's assembled, 4 working :(  (Read 2644 times)

Offline jim saul

• The Computer Hero Christmas Lights
10 LE's assembled, 4 working :(
« on: June 07, 2014, »
Hey guys, looking for some input, 4 of the boards worked 100%
one of them has a bad chip for a channel, and one of the 6 pin sockets i killed :(
aside from that they all pass the self test, but they all have the data light on.
It's weird since I built them all at the same time.
any suggestions as to what went wrong with these 6? also am I on my own to find a new chip and socket or were there extras from the coop?

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
Re: 10 LE's assembled, 4 working :(
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2014, »
I would post some clear daylight pictures of the top of the boards.

Offline jim saul

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2014, »
Will you settle for Florescent light?

Offline tbone321

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2014, »
This was a common issue with some of the 485's being used.  Just because the data light remains lit doesn't mean that the device is not working.  I would connect them to a DMX dongle and run some tests and see if the LE is responding to commands.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline Ron

• Patron Member
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2014, »
You might also try reflagging the PICs if you haven't already. I had a batch from a coop acted strange, slow text scroll, data light on, etc.  when I reflagged the PICs they all worked perfectly.

Offline GrumpkaXmas

• Behind the scenes of Grumpka's Holiday Lights & Sounds.
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2014, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Hey guys, looking for some input, 4 of the boards worked 100%
one of them has a bad chip for a channel, and one of the 6 pin sockets i killed :(
aside from that they all pass the self test, but they all have the data light on.
It's weird since I built them all at the same time.
any suggestions as to what went wrong with these 6? also am I on my own to find a new chip and socket or were there extras from the coop?

Congrats on the builds.  DIY = some snags along the way! 

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login is where most BOM's come from.  If you check the wiki link for Lynx Express, you'll see what you need and the part numbers. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Personally, I use You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login for many 'replacement' parts.   

I have about 13 working LE's.  Just started the hobby in Jan 2014.   Still have another 9 to build.   You really learn a lot along the way. ;)

I agree with the reflash of the PIC.   If you are not up to speed with that process, you could either have someone reflash for you, or read up on PICKIT's.   I use a generic PicKit 3 I got ebay.  I've flashed 15+ chips without a problem.   It seems a little difficult until you get the PICKIT and do some reading.  Once you flash your first chip, it's almost a joke how easy it is.   

There are much smarter folks than I on the forum.  So, I'll leave further assistance to them.   Good luck.  Hope you get to the bottom of the mystery.  My best guess is in line with the other comment.... Reflash and go from their. 
Steve from NJ, AKA Grumpka Xmas
I don't get on the forums as much as I'd like but you can find me on Facebook. 
2014-First Year in the hobby.  15+ Lynx Express controllers

Offline jim saul

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2014, »
Thanks for all the info, sorry I have not gotten back, I had shoulder surgery, and today is the first day i can use a keyboard.
I have not tried anything yet, i hopefully will get my dmx bridge out of the attic next week and start testing.

Offline jim saul

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2014, »
OK, today i was able to connect all 10 to dmx and successfully run a test pattern.
I'm not sure why the dmx light is on at startup for some but not others, but they are all working.
now i just need to order that one socket and 3023 chip and i will have 160 new channels :)
Thanks everyone for the help along the way!

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2014, »
Jim,

Some of the RS485 chips cause the light to be on all the time. It does not cause an issue with functionality. On the express with two on board you can swap the chips and sometimes this will fix it.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline jim saul

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2014, »
Thanks RJ! being this was my first time soldering a board in 20+ years I just assumed it was me.
replacement parts were ordered yesterday and shipped last night :) i also ordered a few triac's just to have them on hand in case of emergency.