Author Topic: How do I Split item into Multiple channels?  (Read 3860 times)

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Split item into Multiple Channels?

I see this when adding objects to the display screen but I have no clue how it work, so normally I say no

I guess this would be a great option for a mega tree.

Any hints?

Thanks

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline rmonty

Re: How do I Split item into Multiple channels?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, »
This is good for arches, mega trees, anything that is basically a single item or structure that will have different segments of lights on different channels.  Does that help?

Ryan

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, »
This is good for arches, mega trees, anything that is basically a single item or structure that will have different segments of lights on different channels.  Does that help?

Ryan

OK

But after I click yes what do I do?

Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, »
I guess I am just confused on the function.

Is there a step by step list on how to do this or video?

Thanks

Rick R.

Offline rmonty

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, »
I apologize Rick.  I don't have an LSP installation close to me to help walk you through it.  I e-mailed David to jump on and help, otherwise I will have to wait until I get to a computer with LSP this afternoon.  I know David is working on the help documentaion right now so there will be documentation coming for it.
This is the main reason for delayed release since we wanted to have all the documentation ready to go also.

I'm sorry for the delayed help on this one, but we will get you an answer soon one way or another.

Ryan

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, »
I apologize Rick.  I don't have an LSP installation close to me to help walk you through it.  I e-mailed David to jump on and help, otherwise I will have to wait until I get to a computer with LSP this afternoon.  I know David is working on the help documentaion right now so there will be documentation coming for it.
This is the main reason for delayed release since we wanted to have all the documentation ready to go also.

I'm sorry for the delayed help on this one, but we will get you an answer soon one way or another.

Ryan

Hi Ryan

No problem I was just having fun with the program and was curious about it. It can wait its not like I am running a show tonight LOL

Cheers

Rick R.

Offline LightShowPro

• LightShow Pro Owner
    • LightShow Pro
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, »
Hey Guys,
I will try to explain the multi-channel drawing tools so that they make sense.

the design is very simple and currently limited to the Tree and Arch drawing tools.

• when you use either of the tools, you will see the size and shape of your Tree or arch
  • when you release the mouse, you will be prompted if you would like to split the object.
  • If you choose yes, you will be prompted for the start-segment channel and the end-segment channel
  • you may also, reverse the segment sequence, by default it will be clockwise for trees and left-to-right for arches
  • Currently you can only split the tree or arch across a single controller.
  • when you have identified the channels to split across, click ok and the segments are updated to the channels.
  • note: you may not see anything on the current drawing screen, as it will only show you the segment for the current channel.

**closing the drawing interface and returning to the sequence will reflect the fact that the multiple channels now have drawings on them (Indicated by the grey rectangles on the channel headers)

we plan to elaborate on this functionality in the near future.
more information can be found in the Help documentation.

Hope this helps,
David
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, by LightShowPro »

Offline vairmoose

• Patron Member
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2009, »
Tried it this morning.    Got the first prompt "do you want to split".  After answering yes, nothing happens.   NEver got the channel prompt.    Back in the scheduler screen, I see the rectangle on one channel.   

Larry

Edit:  further playing.....     I found how to do the split.  I had to start it from the scheduler screen instead of adding somthing to the visual and trying to tie it back to the schedular.   Cancel everything I said....    I'll go crawl back into my hole.   
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, by vairmoose »
3 today (standing at light switch, holding two lighters)
Going live in 2012

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2009, »
My Thanks to David and Larry

I was able to split up channels for a tree.

Steps to get it to work:
1 - Right click on a track #
2 - Click on Draw Channel Image
3 - Select either Arch or Tree effect
4 - Draw effect on screen
5 - Select Yes to Split Channels
6 - Select all 16 channels (in this case) (Start Channel = 1, End Channel = 16)
7 - Click on OK
8 - Click OK again
9 - Back to sequence screen

I created a new sequence with the following:
3 - Lynx Expresses

LE Mega Red (16 Channels all Red lights)
LE Mega Green (16 Channels all Green Lights)
LE Mega White (16 Channels all White Lights)

Two questions
1 - Is there a quick and easy way to have all of the channels on a controller the same color? ie: all red

2 - I selected from the split menu start channel = 1 and end channel = 16. But when I go back to the sequencing screen track 16 does not have the gray box symbol lit.

Thanks

Rick R.

Offline vairmoose

• Patron Member
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2009, »
Good post Rick..   

Next you need to explain the arch.   

larry
3 today (standing at light switch, holding two lighters)
Going live in 2012

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2009, »
Good post Rick..   

Next you need to explain the arch.   

larry

Thanks I just hope I did the split the correct way LOL

Arches?

Man I think the would be rough to do now :) :D  :o

Rick R.

Offline rmonty

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2009, »
Arches are pretty much the same way.  Just remember it is left to right unless you check the reverse box.  David and I have discussed a way to edit multiple channel properties at one time and it is on the list of things to do, but it is not currently in the software.  Also, if you have an arch or tree that spans across controllers, you will need to add a temp controller to drag all the segments to before creating your graphics.  Once you complete the graphics you can drag the channels back to their respective controllers.

The graphics add will be added at a later date to virtual controllers so you don't have to worry about the temp controllers and then you can just put all your segments in a virtual controller.  Hope this isn't too confusing. ???

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2009, »
Hi Folks

Here is a example of the last channel not showing the gray box from my last post

This is from the split menu and I selected all 16 channels. All three controllers show the same thing

Thanks

Rick R.

Offline rmonty

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2009, »
It is most likely an indexing issue.  We will take a look at it.  If you right click on that channel and click okay, does it the add the grey bar?

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2009, »
It is most likely an indexing issue.  We will take a look at it.  If you right click on that channel and click okay, does it the add the grey bar?

Nope

Cheers

Rick R.