Author Topic: EtherDongle/Magic Jack Toast? {{{Solved}}}  (Read 2358 times)

Offline elmo2resc

I have a EtherDongle that programs with no problem but I can't get it to work. I'm not sure but I may have had it hooked up to a Zeus 8 that I had the 7805 and LD1117c interchanged which fried the 7805 for sure. I replaced both and the Zeus 8 works fine now. If I had this board hooked up at the time, I don't think I did, could it have sent power down the Pixelnet In port to the MagJack?

Green Light on the EtherDongle Lights up.
MagJack green light usually will light up solid with the cable plugged in.
MagJack yellow light comes on solid for a few seconds with the cable plugged in then goes out.

The cabling work because I can unplug it and use it with a different EtherDongle and it is fine. I checked all the solder points with a low power stereo microscope and they looked good. I retouched up just in case although I was pretty sure it wouldn't make a difference. I swapped the 6n137's and the st485bn's with the other dongle with no help. The other dongle still works. Any thoughts on this one? I'm figuring I am gonna have to start replacing parts, I'm just not sure which ones to start with.

Jerome
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, by elmo2resc »
Jerome

Offline elmo2resc

Re: EtherDongle/Magic Jack Toast?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, »
I may have found the problem. There are some loose pins on the factory installed chips with the low power microscope. This isn't gonna be fun.

Jerome
Jerome

Offline elmo2resc

Re: EtherDongle/Magic Jack Toast?
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, »
Problem Solved!!

I took another look at the factory installed chip after reading some older post. RJ had commented about a bad batch of boards. Under the scope I used a small needle to push on some of the pins that were offset from where they really should have been on the smaller chip. Well, there were multiple pins not connected although they looked like they had been. I retouched them up with just the iron but not using any additional solder. I then rechecked the pins and all was ok. I hooked it up to test it out and it works perfect.The large chip was installed properly. I should probably check the other EtherDongel since I bought them at the same Coop.  I highly recommend one of these low power stereo scopes. I has paid for itself ten fold. Plus it's just fun to look at stuff with. 

Jerome
Jerome

Offline RJ

• Administrator
Re: EtherDongle/Magic Jack Toast? {{{Solved}}}
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, »
If these were in the original coop I installed them. We did have some issues like this and I would of been happy to fix it for you but sounds like you got it. So good job!

Glad you got it going.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline tbone321

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, »
What scope are you using?
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline elmo2resc

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, »
RJ, This was from the Jan 2012 Coop. I would have never guessed anyone would attempt to install those with how small they are. In that case I would say it wasn't that bad. The large chip looked really good.

tbone, I will have to check to see which one I bought when I get home tomorrow. It is a low power stereo microscope. It has a few different power levels. I use mine on the lowest setting with the PCB's and it is more then enough to check the solder points. Any closer and it wouldn't be practical for the PCB's we use.

Jerome
Jerome

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2014, »
Yes I installed them. We found a company to put them on for us in later coops to prevent issues like this.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline elmo2resc

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2014, »
tbone, What I have is the Sharp Stereo Microscope 20X-40X-80X, SE304-PZ from AmScope. The price on their web site was around what I had paid for it a few years ago.

Jerome
Jerome