Author Topic: What is the DMX module  (Read 5112 times)

Offline Sloanhaus

What is the DMX module
« on: May 14, 2009, »
If I am wanting to run wireless to half my LE boards and than run Cat 5 from the wireless boards to another board using version 3 boards, what module do I have to buy. Dont I just hook the cat 5 into the cat5 out?

Thanks in advance

Offline Greg

Re: What is the DMX module
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, »
If I understand what you're asking, at minimum you'd need one TX connected to the dongle and an EX/RX for each V3 LE you want to be wireless. To chain to the remaining LEs from any of the wireless LEs use a cat5 from the DMX2 port on the wireless to the wired LE DMX in.

Of course you might also want a spare TX just in case.

Greg
....  Crazy, Toys in the attic, He is crazy  ....

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
If I am wanting to run wireless to half my LE boards and than run Cat 5 from the wireless boards to another board using version 3 boards, what module do I have to buy. Dont I just hook the cat 5 into the cat5 out?

Thanks in advance

One Lynx transmitter (TX)
One or more LE receiver(s) EX/RX (for the LEs that you want wireless on)

The LE ver3 has dmx 2 which allows you to run cat5 from the wireless receiver to the rest of your controllers.

Have you seen the sample diagrams? You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
 They might help

Hope that helps

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline WWNF911

• Patron Member
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, »
Weird. I hear an echo.  LOL
Leon

Offline wbuehler

• Administrator
  • Dont' that poster look dusty?
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, »
Just remember that only version 3 LE's have the ability to use wireless and provide a DMX RJ45 out.

Bill

Offline wjgiles50

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, »
Are those diagrams part of the WIKI now?

Offline Sloanhaus

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2009, »
So in looking at the diagrams, if I have a wireless board and I am wanting to run cat 5 from the board to another board, I need to have a wall wart (if so, what is a wall wart)

Offline memphislights

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2009, »
Those blocky 12V, 9V, 6V, or 5V wall adapters for electronics without built-in power supplies.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, by memphislights »
It's not about more, it's about enough.

Offline smartcontrols

• Coop Manager
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2009, »
I will let the experts correct me if I am wrong and of course Memphislights is correct in what a wall wart is, But before you order a wall wart. To do what you are trying to do, I don’t believe you will need one(other then the one that will come with the transmitter parts)

If you want to connect a Lynx Express V3 that was the LE/RE wireless receiver module installed, to a Lynx Express that does not have a the wireless module. Then you would only need to run cat 5 from the DMX 2 out of the LE with wireless to the DMX in on the LE that does not have wireless.

If I understand what you want to do and how all this works it would be like this

-----  inside  house (usually) ------
Pc -> Dongle -> Transmitter (with included wall wart)

-----  outside  house (usually)   ------

LE V3 #1 (with wireless module )  -- (cat5) --  LE  (with OUT wireless module )   -- (cat5) --  LE  (with OUT wireless module ) 

LE V3 #2 (with wireless module )  -- (cat5) --  LE  (with OUT wireless module )   -- (cat5) --  LE  (with OUT wireless module )   

LE V3 #3 (with wireless module )  -- (cat5) --  LE  (with OUT wireless module )   -- (cat5) --  LE  (with OUT wireless module )   

Refer to the lower left corner of the First sample diagram.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Jeff

Offline Ron

• Patron Member
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2009, »
Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Jeff

No need to correct you, you got it right.  Wall wart only needed for the transmitter and the stand alone wireless receiver.

Ron

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2009, »
No body should be ordering any parts (including the wall wart (aka AC to DC transformer) until the beta team has finished up and RJ posts the BOM.

If you are using the on board wireless receiver then the controller will power the receiver.
If you are using the external wireless receiver than each receiver will need a wall wart.

Not sure why you repeated the line chart 3 times (LE Wireless to wired LEs)

But yes if you only want one LE wireless then the rest of the controllers can be wired (cat5)

Hope that helps

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)

Offline lizard050

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2009, »
I appologize ahead of time if this has already been asked and answered.     I have v2 express' and want to make one wireless then daisy chain the others from this.  If I understand all this correctly this would be possible using the stand alone receiver (RX).  Or can it be done with the LE receiver (EX/RX) and the  rs485 dip socket adapter (#4 ) from the coop.Kit #4 RS485 DIP socket connector?

kit # $    "(This module will plug into the RS485 socket that will allow the LE receiver to be used with the other Lynx controllers)
Basically you can add wireless to the Original Lynx, SSR4, FreeStyle, MR16."
Brad
South Florida

Offline WWNF911

• Patron Member
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2009, »
I appologize ahead of time if this has already been asked and answered.     I have v2 express' and want to make one wireless then daisy chain the others from this. 

Unfortunately, The version 2 as I understand has no DMX out. So, you can hook up a wireless connection to it. However, there will be no daisy chaining allowed I'm afaid. Need to have a version 3 or higher pcb.

If I understand all this correctly this would be possible using the stand alone receiver (RX).  Or can it be done with the LE receiver (EX/RX) and the  rs485 dip socket adapter (#4 ) from the coop.Kit #4 RS485 DIP socket connector?

kit # $    "(This module will plug into the RS485 socket that will allow the LE receiver to be used with the other Lynx controllers)
Basically you can add wireless to the Original Lynx, SSR4, FreeStyle, MR16."

To answer these questions yes and yes.

**EDIT - After re-reading, I don't think you need the RS-485 adapt. just the EX/RX for the express. Of course only the Beta guys know for sure as I haven't got to play..... yet.  :)**

Leon
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, by WWNF911 »
Leon

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2009, »
Hi Lizard050

See if this helps for the LE wireless question.

and

for the hardware connection see the table in the equipment page

Rick R.

Offline WWNF911

• Patron Member
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2009, »
for the hardware connection see the table in the equipment page

Rick R.

So according to the table if I used a RX and sent DMX to the Express, it wouldn't work?  Hmmmm

Leon
Leon