Software > Light Show Pro

MIdi, LSP, and honest feedback

(1/3) > >>

GrumpkaXmas:
Hey everyone.  Haven't posted much as of late.   However, I've been hard at work on my Lynx Express builds.   I'm ready to start sequencing (I think).   I've been trying to get some answers about LSP.   This seems to be the most active place to ask this question of the LSP users here on DIYA.

1) Does anyone use a midi device to record/sequence via live input into the grid?  (IE:  assign midi note to channel, play midi note while in record mode, and play it back successfully). 
2) FOllow up, if so, does it drop notes?  How well does this feature work? 
3) Can you also create a 'chase' or other macro/sequence that could be triggered/placed by a midi note press?  (IE: I want to trigger a leaping arch channel 1-8 chase by pressing just the 'C' note at appropriate points in the song)
4) I have plans on using many BOBCAT servo boards.   May I program a knob/slide to control LSP?  I'd like to record live servo movement via a midi knob, and have LSP play back that data in the sequence for 3 axis skull heads, animated props, and whatever crazy stuff I dream up.   

I'm thinking about purchasing LSP, but so many posts about crashes, stumbles, errors, and some even saying the whole midi/OSC/input recording system is a bust.   I'm really just looking for some feedback from real users who have experience and are on 2.8.    Without that confidence, I don't think I'll feel good about setting my show up with LSP.   

Hoping to hear from some folks here on DIYA.   This show will be almost all Lynx Express controllers.  Either using a E1.31 Bridge or a DMX dongle that has been testes at length for long periods.   (Entec Pro comp).  Windows 7 32bit or 64 bit,  Doesn't matter to me, I'll go with what you guys tell me. 

Thanks in advance for any insight you are willing to share.  I like what I see with LSP, but I only tested the demo.  Midi doesn't work on the 2.8 demo.   Plus, I have no real way to get a true feel for LSP in reality.  Things act much different when talking to E1.31 and/or a dongle.  Oh, I plan on only 160 DMX channels this year.  All traditional strings, Lynx Express.  Next year, I want to do at least 500-600 channels.  I'll still be DMX and most likely all Lynx Express.  I'm assuming this is cake walk for LSP to handle....

MrChristmas2000:
No, actually the facebook LSP users group is even more active than here.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

You are certainly welcome to join in the conversations there.

MrChristmas2k

arw01:
I see a post on LSP forums where a developer offered to craft you special license key to expire sometime in the future so you can test it out yourself.

One has to remember that you will always find more negative on anything on the internet than positive.  When it works people just don't post about it as much.

Love my LSP, worth every penny.  And as someone else pointed out, the % of expenditure in software for this hobby, is a tiny percentage of what we put into everything else, but it's the most critical piece, without it, the show does not go on!

ALan

taybrynn:
LSP started its lifespan being developed by one person and while very very advanced and feature rich, it had some bugs, some critical bugs with things like the show player.  I have heard rumors testing may have been "lax" in the early years ... but regardless,  In the last 1-2 years under David, he really stabilized it, got it tested by a larger group and addressed many of the bugs and shortcomings that were widely reported.  After being sold to Minleon, the stabilizing process has continued and LSP seems to have matured a lot.  I still don't know if any software offers what it does or with the range of supported hardware and protocols.  It depends on your needs, but LSP has a lot to offer, but the learning curve is fairly steep at first.  Compared to LOR (which I was more used to) is could do a lot more ... and blew away LOR on the RGB side of things.    If your needs are more simple, xlights/nutcracker may be all you need.  It almost sounds like you want to do a live show of some kind ... and if thats the case, LSP may be the best fit I know of, not sure its a perfect fit, but it did have Wii controls which is more akin to a live show ... but most I knew didn't use it or found it mostly a gimmick feature.

GrumpkaXmas:
Thanks Guys.   I agree about the negative aspect of the internet.  I few folks had expressed that I'd be disappointed with the midi input side of LSP.  That is the reason I would buy it (the midi ability that is).  It would save me a lot of time coming up with my own combination of software to do what I want.  What I want is to play my midi keyboard to the audio track, record the midi keyboard as light channel trigger/ sequence trigger, and play it all back for my show.  It's the alternative to a mouse click grid based system.  I want the creative freedom to play my light show.   I had success with this idea years ago on a straight midi-to light controller and a simple midi sequencing program.   The fact that LSP states this is a feature and one they actually point out as a headline feature, makes me want to spend the $249.00 right now.   The 'negative' feedback about this exact feature being non-functional/not accurate or buggy keeps me from pushing the BUY button. :(

I must say though, I personally really like the interface of LSP based on the demo.   I didn't see anything about a special offer to unlock the software for a limited time, but I'll check back in over on the LSP forum.   That would be great.  Heck, even if a person or two on the forums told me YES, I use midi and it works great, That would be good enough for me.... Just haven't seen anything on the subject matter in that was a positive result....

Thanks again guys.   Hopefully, I'll LSP will be my software package.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version