Author Topic: Cat5 Pigtail vs 4 wire waterproof Pigtail  (Read 2061 times)

Offline IndianaChristmas

• Patron Member
Cat5 Pigtail vs 4 wire waterproof Pigtail
« on: August 09, 2014, »
I'm getting ready to buy some stuff from Ray so I thought I would ask:

I have experienced issues with the Cat5 pigtails and the weather.  Heck, much of my stuff is under snow much of the season.  I have used Corrosion X with some success.
However, I would like to hear from others about the pluses and minuses of the 4 wire pigtail option.  Worth it or no?

Thanks

Offline tbone321

Re: Cat5 Pigtail vs 4 wire waterproof Pigtail
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, »
Where and for what are you intending to use them?
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline caretaker

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, »
I had some issues the first time I used the CAT5 connectors so the second year I put a little NoAlox (a anti oxidant grease used for aluminum electrical connections You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login ) and did not have any issues aside from clean the Cat5 plugs off when I disassembled. That said if I were to do it again I would just solder one end of my cat5 cable directly to the SSC eliminating the potential bad connection.
Jeff Squires
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline arw01

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, »
well in general most of my show will be fixed from last year, but I really like the flexibility of cat 5 from one plug to the next, and the ability to extend it by just trowing a rj45-rj45 connector on the cable if I needed to.

I suppose you could do the same with some of ray's extensions or make some of your own by cutting both ends of the cat 5.  I'm torn myself, but have decided to stick with the pigtails this year and continue to spray them all with corrosion x.  I looked at a few and there was a tiny bit in a couple (would help if they were gold plated and not just whatever they are).  Before deployment I may take a wire brush in there and spray them again this year.

Certainly have a lot of 4 wire pigtails to change them over if I needed to.

Also bought Ray's 2 wire pigtails, extensions, etc for my aether II's this year. (just their power side obviously, using cat 5 for the data)

Alan

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2014, »
Never had a major problem in Colorado with the cat5, but after adding low tech solution like "connections in a bag" ... virtually no issues, but it doesn't rain here either in Dec/Jan.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline IndianaChristmas

• Patron Member
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2014, »
Thanks for the replies.
I will be using them with mostly SS gear.  However, I had a lot of connector corrosion even when I used the Cat5 pig tails carrying data from one DMX box to another (i.e. Express to Express or Freestyle to SSR).  I have never really tried to protect them from the weather as it always seems like water got inside bags, tape etc.   The interesting thing is I have never seen corrosion on an express or SSR that is inside an enclosure.  Did have a worm or something get in once and it got fried!
I might just stay with corrosion X and some " extra protection" from the elements (bag with a drain hole, maybe).  Unfortunately many of the elements are not under a roof etc.  I will try pointing all connections down etc.

With corrosion X - do you guys spray it on once a season or go touch up connections through the season as well?

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2014, »
what worked for me last year with 0 issues:

1) all cat5 and power connections were done within a battery box (search walmart.com), inside the boxes I'd have my 12v power supplies (if needed) and all cat5 cables came into and left that box.  (I did hot-glue the vent holes on the lids)

2) all SSCs had incoming and outgoing wires traveling through a single PVC endcap and the SSC was strapped to a spike/stake so that the wires came into and left from the bottom (since the water would not run upwards)

3) all SSCs used 4-core waterproof connectors for input, and 3-core waterproof connectors for output. 

4) the connection from the hub (inside the battery box) to the SSC required an altered cat5 cable.  I had a bunch of bad cables from my previous year.  I cut off the bad rj45 connector and replaced it with the 4-core connector, using soldered/shrink-wrapped connections.

0 problems.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2014, »
simple 12v butt splices male/female. they are aluminum and for auto and marine use so no corrosion. also the connection isn't sealed so it dries rather quick. 2 years with no issues and no corrosion.
Florence, KY

facebook.com/hearthstonelights

Offline IndianaChristmas

• Patron Member
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2014, »
where did  you find 3 and/or 4 wire butt connectors?

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2014, »
where did  you find 3 and/or 4 wire butt connectors?
the butt connectors are for connecting a pair of wires.

you need the 3-wire connector, the 4-wire connector, and 3+4=7 butt connectors.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline IndianaChristmas

• Patron Member
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2014, »
I am accustomed to butt connectors being pairs of wires as well. 
However, when I put a search for 12v Marine butt connectors I saw images for 2 wire setups with male and female connectors.  Wouldn't it be convenient to have this in a 3 and 4 wire package as well. Would essentially be the same the waterproof connectors but a different package.  I have a similar connection on my truck for trailer lights. 
I was thinking duane was referring to something like that.  My guess is they are more expensive than the current 3 and 4 wire connectors but I was exploring around.

Offline IndianaChristmas

• Patron Member
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2014, »
I found these objects:

and

Offline MSL

• So many lights, so little time!
    • 26streetlights
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2014, »
I am using something similar to these this year:

or

I plan on putting dielectric grease on them for a little water proofing.
Holiday Lights in Plantation, Florida

Over 20,000 LED and RGB lights. We currently are running 3020 channels (320 Lynx Express / 2700 RGB Zeus and Smart String channels / 3 Aethers II).

Our show can be seen on You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login