Author Topic: Matrix Setup  (Read 1447 times)

Offline IndianaChristmas

• Patron Member
Matrix Setup
« on: August 11, 2014, »
When I go to define a matrix I don't think I have a complete understanding of the settings to define one.

I want to create a 22 x 22 matrix using 4 strings each with 121 nodes.
I chose:
Number of actual strings: 4
Number of nodes/string: 121
Number of strands/string: 22  (what is the definition of strand? My translation = columns)

The resulting model in the previewer is not a 22 x 22 matrix.  It is a 5 x (?alot) matrix.  I think I'm messing up on what a strand is. 

I realize this is a very basic question and probably has been discussed before; I can't find an answer on the forums.

Offline tbone321

Re: Matrix Setup
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, »
The problem is in the math.  You claimed that the matrix has 4 strings and that each string creates 22 strands.  This would create a matrix with 88 columns with 5 led's (actually 5.5) per column.  The problem is that 4 strings does not divide evenly into 22 colums.  You could tell it that you have 11 strings of 44 nodes and each string creates 2 strands.  That should build the matrix correctly.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline arw01

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, »
I struggled with this not long ago with a 10 x 51 pixels.  I did end up doing a custom model because I could not figure out the zig zag in nutcracker.

Alan

Offline CaptainMurdoch

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
When I go to define a matrix I don't think I have a complete understanding of the settings to define one.

I chose:
Number of strands/string: 22  (what is the definition of strand? My translation = columns)

The resulting model in the previewer is not a 22 x 22 matrix.  It is a 5 x (?alot) matrix.  I think I'm messing up on what a strand is. 

I realize this is a very basic question and probably has been discussed before; I can't find an answer on the forums.

If your pixels are indeed on contiguous channels and layed out in a continuous zig-zag, then you could create a single 484-pixel string with 22 strands and the normal matrix config should work for you.  Nutcracker doesn't need to know about the start channels of the individual strings if they are all contiguous with no gaps.

[EDIT] removed long reply since it wasn't necessary.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, by CaptainMurdoch »

Offline smeighan

• Nutcracker RGB Sequence Builder
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, »

I chose:

your math doesnt work.
121 is not divisible by 22.

If these 4 are connected end to end and are consecutive channels you can do this
Number of actual strings:1
Number of nodes/string: 484
Number of strands/string: 22
NOTE: Because your strings are not even multiples of 22, this method of building the model will have you bringing the wires part way up your matrix.
click on NODE LAYOUT in the model screen to see how the nodes would be layed out.

if you want the four wires to be at the bottom of your matrix, you need something that is even multiples.

Number of actual strings:4
Number of nodes/string: 120
Number of strands/string: 24

This will waste one pixel per string. You will end up with a matrix that is
20x24

with 4 wasted pixels.

Sean
Littleton, CO
Latest releases You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
xLights/Nutcracker Forum You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Fbook You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline CaptainMurdoch

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, »
And Sean beat me to the reply while I was fixing up my earlier reply which over-complicated things... :)

Offline smeighan

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, »
great minds chris. we both had the two methods this could be done.
Sean
Littleton, CO

Offline CaptainMurdoch

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2014, »
great minds chris. we both had the two methods this could be done.

You must have missed the reply that I edited. :)  I was off creating a custom model spreadsheet for him instead of thinking about the simple solution that the model doesn't really need to fit the actual hardware as long as the end layout is correct and channels are in the right place.

Offline IndianaChristmas

• Patron Member
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2014, »
I got it.  I just misunderstood "actual strings".  With a limit of 128 nodes per string, I need 4 "strings" to get 484 nodes. I assumed I needed 4 strings evenly cut into 121 nodes. 

But I can have 3, 128 node strings and 1, 100 node string. 

Put these into the model as one string and split evenly into 22 "strands."  Know the start channel for my matrix in my display.  Calculate the starting channels for each controller on the matrix and I'm done!

Now I don't have to as much splicing!

Offline smeighan

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2014, »
I got it.  I just misunderstood "actual strings".  With a limit of 128 nodes per string, I need 4 "strings" to get 484 nodes. I assumed I needed 4 strings evenly cut into 121 nodes. 

But I can have 3, 128 node strings and 1, 100 node string. 

Put these into the model as one string and split evenly into 22 "strands."  Know the start channel for my matrix in my display.  Calculate the starting channels for each controller on the matrix and I'm done!

Now I don't have to as much splicing!

Yes, this works. One Caveat, if you have 128 nodes but are folding into 22 long, the starting node of string 2,3,4 will not be at the bottom of your matrix. For matrix displays this is probably not an issue. It really doesnt work on 4m high megatrees. Try plugging a cable when it is 9' off the ground.

Sean
Littleton, CO