Author Topic: Matrix Issues  (Read 2766 times)

Offline IndianaChristmas

• Patron Member
Matrix Issues
« on: August 13, 2014, »
I have set up a 25x25 matrix as was discussed in a previous post.   It is vertical matrix and I ran the lights from the bottom left corner zigzaging my way up and down to get 25 nice little rows and columns on my matrix.  I defined it in xLights in this manner as well. There are 5 controllers used in this matrix; each with 128 nodes (this does put 15 extra nodes outside the matrix; I just haven't cut them off). 

When I run a Bar pattern using xlights the link below shows what I get.

For what ever reason the 3rd and 5th controllers are behaving differently than the other controllers.  I have checked to make sure they are not in hybrid or grouped mode when programmed.  The controllers are set to the proper channel counts.  Also note that although the matrix has 625 nodes; the last string I didn't cut short so there are 15 nodes left over.  However, 12 of the 15 nodes light up and this can be seen if you look for the dangling nodes to the right.

Any ideas?

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

The video shows bars running top to bottom and then Right to Left.

Please note, I just uploaded the video and am not a "plus" member so the video may not have processed by the time you click the link.  Sorry.

Offline tbone321

Re: Matrix Issues
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, »
As of now the vid is listed as nonexistent.  Make sure that you set up your controllers for the number of nodes that you want them to control.  If 12 of the 15 nodes are still lighting up, then the count is wrong somewhere.  It looks like the last controller is configured to control 12 more nodes than you need.  I would also look at or reconfigure the 3rd controller as well but until I can see the output, there is no way for me to see what is happening.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline tbone321

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, »
Your video is up now and your matrix is acting somewhat strangely.  It appears that you may have some of the controllers set in reverse order.  Instead of cutting the lights off of the end, I would rearrange the matrix to leave the last three nodes hanging free on each string.  Then configure the 5 controllers for 125 nodes and in the forward direction.  With the exception of the start channel, all five controllers should be configured exactly the same way.  There should be no need to cut the extra 3 nodes from the string because if the controllers are configured correctly, they will not light anyway.  Then you can set up the matrix with either 5 strings of 125 making 5 rows per string or as a single string of 625 making 25 rows.  BTW, the matrix setup looks good and I look forward to seeing what you do with it once it's debugged.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, »
I had something similar on my pixel tree when I first put it up.  Sean had me put up a simple test with only the first channel on every string turned on.  That will tell you if you you have the controllers in reverse mode.  I also had my controllers installed left to right, but the tree was defined as right to left.  Made for some interesting patterns that I would never be able to replicate now.  LOL

I agree with Tom on having every controller be set for 125 and not wrapping those last 3 nodes around.  If this was mine I would be rethinking having a square matrix and using something that is more closely aligned with video in the 16:9  or 4:3 aspect ration.  Just my 2 cents.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline smeighan

• Patron Member
    • Nutcracker RGB Sequence Builder
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, »
Can u post your xlights_networks.xml and your xlights_rgbeffects.xml?
Sean
Littleton, CO
Latest releases You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
xLights/Nutcracker Forum You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Fbook You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, »
Also make sure that EACH of your SSC/zeus controllers are set to the correct starting channels -- and the right direction. etc.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline smeighan

• Patron Member
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2014, »
go to TEST tab and turn on teh first channel of the first node of each string. If those dont match look at the things listed above.

thanks
Sean
Littleton, CO

Offline IndianaChristmas

• Patron Member
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2014, »
Thanks for the ideas.  I will be having family at the home for the next couple weeks so it will be hard to get a handle on this for now.  I'll repost when I have a chance to get to this.  Sorry.  Don't mean to leave you all hanging!

Offline IndianaChristmas

• Patron Member
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2014, »
Ok,  family visitors are gone so I was able to get back to this issue.
I went back and re-addressed my pixelnet controllers and this time I did it correctly!  Everything works wonderfully well.
This is the first time I have seen RGB nodes in person doing anything.  It truly is amazing to see the designs show up on the matrix. 
Sean has really added a wonderful tool to the world of holiday lighting!

Now as for the matrix I used.  It was designed to be modular.  The basic building block is a 2x2' square piece of heavy CoroPlast that has 15x15 grid of holes cut out to accept the nodes.  The back side has a network of small diameter (yellow water pipe PVC, sorry don't know the real name) attached to it with clamps.  These 2x2' blocks can then be assembled (attaching to each other with the PVC using T's) as a larger matrix or other object (pyramid, eg.) or can be individual panels.  We can use every hole or some of the holes.  If all holes were used the matrix would be quite dense. 
I originally was going to create a 4x12' panel but with some other ideas I have seen for matrix, that would be a lot lighter and wind friendly, I decided to use several smaller 4x4' matrices instead.

I have attached some pics of a 2x4' section I had put together.

Offline smeighan

• Patron Member
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2014, »
looks nice
Sean
Littleton, CO

Offline MrChristmas2000

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2014, »
Did you manually drill the holes yourself on some kind of a jig or did you purchase them already drilled?

Offline IndianaChristmas

• Patron Member
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2014, »
It was done on a DYI CNC.  Not mine, too bad :(.