Author Topic: Smart string into dumb string  (Read 1885 times)

Offline lightingboy82

Smart string into dumb string
« on: August 14, 2014, »
Is there a way to program the SSC (v3) to a set color? I need to set a string to all white, and another to all hot pink. I'd like to be able to just power the string, and it come on at the predefined color. I'm helping my cousin with her wedding and don't want to drag along my ETD and computer just to do this for one day.

Offline t.jo13

• Coop Manager
Re: Smart string into dumb string
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, »
Unfortunately no. Unless you have a conductor hooked to the ETD  which allows you to run the SSC  without your computer.

Joe

Offline lightingboy82

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, »
That's what I was afraid of. I don't have a conductor

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, »
You would need a custom Test Pattern firmware.

Offline lightingboy82

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, »
any chance of me being able to edit the firmware?

Offline twooly

• Blah
    • Todd Woolums
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, »
No, its up to RJ to decide.  You could run a raspberry pi in place of a conductor since you don't have one.  Rasberry pi to the etherdongle to your hub/lights.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline TexasStingray

• Coop Manager
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2014, »
If you have a Panther DMX player, I have videos of how to program it and send Pixelnet out. All you would have to do is just power it.
Scott Wanner
TX

Watch my videos

Offline CaptainMurdoch

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2014, »
And I think sabie has one of those for sale. :)

Offline tbone321

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2014, »
The problem there is that he would really be no better off than just bringing a notebook PC and connecting it to a DMX dongle flashed for PixelNet or an ETD.  If you are up to modifying firmware, perhaps you may want to look into creating new firmware for the device.  It may be cool to have a firmware release that will allow the SSC to be able to do something simple and continuously without the need of a controller telling it what to do.  This was a plan for the Aether but RJ never had the time to work on it.  I would contact RJ and see what he thinks and if he is willing to help you out.  If not, you can always create your own firmware anyway but in that case, keep it to yourself and there is no harm and no foul.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline TexasStingray

• Coop Manager
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2014, »
As the inventory/developer of the panther and maybe other developers feel the same way. I dont want to have multiple releases of firmware because then you have to support it. And its not the same as having a pc and the ed as the panther is only one device.
Scott Wanner
TX

Watch my videos

Offline TexasStingray

• Coop Manager
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2014, »
Here is a simple example of how you could accomplish this with the Panther. I show both power as on demand but all you would really need on demand power to would be the 4 port passive hub.
Scott Wanner
TX

Watch my videos

Offline lightingboy82

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2014, »
Thank you everyone! I see the need to not have multiple versions of firmware out there, for exactly as described.

That being said, I think if there was an ability to run a very simple "show" right from the SSC, that would be great. Like a solid color, or a "multi color"- like Incan sets. Think along the lines of the Incan strands with the box that allows simple chases etc...

I thank everyone for the help here!!

Offline tbone321

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2014, »
I was actually talking about the Rasberry, not the Panther.  I would not consider this a release of the existing firmware since it converts the controller into something very different.  As it is, there are multiple versions of the firmware for both the EDT and the USB dongle for ether DMX or Pixelnet as well as the test and run mode firmware for both the SSC and DSC.  Even you are posting in your forum about possible additions to the Panther which IIRC, will require new firmware.  Even RJ was thinking along these lines for landscape lighting with the Aether's and is why I suggested contacting RJ abut this.  It is his hardware and Forum and if he doesn't agree or doesn't want this here, then his decision needs to be respected. 

I also intend to replace the LED's in my solar landscape lighting with smart string nodes and will need a way to set them in a static state.  I have bought a Panther to do this but since you have chosen to use a different processor, now I need to get yet another programmer and software just to load it which I really don't have time for right now.  With my property layout, I would need to use two controllers which then also would require me to use a splitter as well.  Since 98% of the time the lights will be is a static state, it would simply make more sense in my situation to create and or install firmware to put them in that state and simply supply them with power to have them do what I want. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline TexasStingray

• Coop Manager
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2014, »
I think if there was an ability to run a very simple "show"...

That's one of the reasons I created the Panther DMX Player, and then created some simple to follow videos on How to create your own firmware for it. Including how to read and write to the SD Card, and Send PixelNet.

You'll still have to some way to inject 12 volts to the SS.

and The Panther does not support audio.

But you could read from an SD Card and Send Pixelnet out. I have even done this but at 50ms can only get about 768 channels out due to time to read the SD Card. But if you only want fixed values you could hard code them into the firmware. Or if the node values not change then you really would not need to send it out more then once as they will not change until they receive the next signal. so if You never send the signal again they will stay on the value last sent.

Hope this helps.
Scott Wanner
TX

Watch my videos

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2014, »

This might help you?
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!