Author Topic: Models  (Read 1443 times)

Offline IndianaChristmas

• Patron Member
Models
« on: August 20, 2014, »
Up to now I have done all my work in LSP.  As I move to the RGB world, I'm starting to really see the limitations with LSP and have been spending more time looking at Xlights. 
I really like the variety of RGB effects over LSP's content.  I would really like to convert my existing LSP files over to Xlights but seem to be having some issues here currently and I'm not sure it ever really worked to convert to conductor format.  All my most recent work was done with v2.8 LSP so I can't use Light Elf as it is my understanding it only works with v2.5.

That being said, I have many of the songs that have already had timing marks applied and while these are not going to be exactly like my LSP timing marks, I bet they come very close.  So this option is very appealing. I could create all the different models I need and re-sequence - Yay!

I have some older LED lights I still want to use.  I see the models include single colors for Red, green, blue and white.  I have a bunch of purple strings I would like to use as well.  So finally, my question - is there a way to create/emulate a single strand of purple lights?

Offline arw01

Re: Models
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, »
What limitations are you finding? I find new and more powerful functions all the time with LSP.

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Tapatalk

Offline IndianaChristmas

• Patron Member
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, »
The newest version isn't letting me export out to Conductor - working on this issue but can't find a solution.
I really like the way RGB lights are sequenced with xLights/Nutcracker.  There are better RGB effects in xLights.

At any rate, I don't to drop LSP. I just hope I can export.

Back on topic - Is there a way to get a purple strands of LED lights modeled in xLights/Nutcracker?

Offline MrChristmas2000

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, »
I don't think that it is necessarily limitations with LSP but more of a problem with the speed and ease of use.

Nutcrackers effects are created by selecting a model, type of effect desired and a few simple effect parameters and ta da you can see your effect right on your model and if you have lights hooked up have immediate visual results even before it's even added to a sequence. The learning curve for Nutcracker is fairly short. In Nutcracker the only reason that colors are referenced in the 'Single color Red/Blue/Green/White' model setup is for your visual reference on a model. It would clutter the selection menu if you had Yellow, Purple, Pink, Orange, and there would always be one color that was not in the list. You can always put in a request but right now I believe it would probably low on the list to add.

LSP requires either a complex series of layered settings, graphics, or videos to accomplish various effects. These effects can be previewed but only on a square area (not on the element it's self). In order to see an effect on an element requires a generation process that adds it to the sequence before it can be viewed in simulation mode. While you can certainly create some interesting effects it is a very timely process. The learning curve for the Macros is fairly complex and is one of the turnoffs to it's use.

I use LSP ver 2.8 and Light elf to export sequences for either importing into Nutcracker or for use with the Falcon Pi player. If you are having trouble with Light elf PM me and I'll try to help you.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Back on topic - Is there a way to get a purple strands of LED lights modeled in xLights/Nutcracker?

Sometimes you have to use the standard color in a model and use your imagination on the preview.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline smeighan

• Patron Member
    • Nutcracker RGB Sequence Builder
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, »
we could add more single color models (Orange, green, purple, .etc.). These only effect the preview, not the actual creation of your effects.

This will probably not be done this year. I am pretty full on my to do list
1) Single Strand effects
2) Papagayo
3) Export using a start and end time
4) Some more effects

I'll see if we can get to it, i dont think so
Sean
Littleton, CO
Latest releases You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
xLights/Nutcracker Forum You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Fbook You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline IndianaChristmas

• Patron Member
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, »
I understand that I don't need "purple" or any other color.  It is just nice to have that is all.  So, I was hoping for a work around!

I like LSP's Macros.  Playing with them is fun and some pretty cool things can be done.  No doubt about it!  I really wasn't trying to discount the program.  I have had it now for 4 years and have done some cool things with it.  As I move into RGB world and working with other options I have been learning a lot more; which is great!

I appreciate your hard work already done for xLights/Nutcracker.  And what ever time you have now probably should be spent doing more important improvements.

I wasn't aware that Light Elf would convert 2.8 LSP files.  I thought it was limited to v2.5.  If this is the case, would it be better to convert with Light Elf or use Conductor/LOR Export in LSP to  get files for xLights?

Thanks for all the feedback.