Author Topic: Success but found error in manual  (Read 1930 times)

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
Success but found error in manual
« on: May 17, 2009, »
Completed my very first board assembly after 67 years.  Lots more to go.  The only pcb and parts I have so far were for one dongle.  Looks like I've got it completed, but have to retrieve my PIC from BLearning as he and Keith were to program it.  I hope I soldered all the connections well and that everything is correct, but won't know until I can hook it up and give it a whirl.  As I followed the manual (from the WIKI) I ended up with one part where there is no reference in the manual.  If the part instruction is there I cannot see it although it is installed in the pictures.  Maybe that is in Step 3 - is a transistor the same as the following  512-FQP27P06 60v P-Channel QFET picture seems to indicate this but more specific info in the manual should be there.  Remember I am not an electrical engineer and am definitely a rank novice at doing this.  I believe Wikis allow for many people to update them, but I am a novice at board assembly, DIY Christmas and have never done anything with a Wiki other than read them so I will leave any WIKI updates to a more experienced person.

Any way I feel pretty good for now.

One other issue is that as a novice at this, when I got to Step 5 to insert the chips, I could no longer tell what chip went in to which socket since the printing on the pcb is now covered by the socket.  Fortunately one of the early pictures was clear enough to give me the answer, but that information ought to be in the manual text as well.   Just my 2cent feedback.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, by jnealand »
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: Success but found error in manual
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, »
Agree,

It seems to appear between steps 2 and 3

Guess we will have to fix that

:D

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, »
Agree,

It seems to appear between steps 2 and 3

Guess we will have to fix that

:D

Congrats on getting the dongle solder up.  ;D

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline vairmoose

• Patron Member
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, »
This is more a "just for information".   The FTDI drivers needed for the dongle were recently (Feb 2009) updated.

The manual has been updated with this information.

Larry
3 today (standing at light switch, holding two lighters)
Going live in 2012