Author Topic: Etherdongle issue.  (Read 3470 times)

Offline mmciver

• Love the blinky blinky! in 85086
Etherdongle issue.
« on: August 24, 2014, »
I bought 2 etherdongle V1's from one of the first coops.  Got busy with other projects and they have been sitting for about 2 years now.

Finally got them out.   I soldered them up when I got them...

Anyway, first one flashed properly and when I figured out how to set it up to work have had no issues with it.

The second one, which I want for a spare, flashes correctly, but when I plug it in I get no green led and the magic jacks stay dark when i plug in and fire up LSP.  I checked LED and it is on the board correctly, i didn't mix up my voltage regulators.  Solder joints look good..

can someone point me a direction to troubleshoot this???

Mike
650000 lights!
160 Channels - 2010 numbers
RGB elements
Combo Mega Tree
Never enough lights!

Offline RJ

• Administrator
Re: Etherdongle issue.
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, »
Make sure the 49.9 ohm resistors are the same we had an issue with an early coop that got 49.9K ones. The other likely is soldering on the chips.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline mmciver

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, »
Thanks RJ.  I wont be able to check until friday.  o will lool then.
650000 lights!
RGB elements
Combo Mega Tree
Never enough lights!

Offline TAdamsOK

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, »
If I remeber correctly, the first coop had an issue with some of the surface mount chips being misaligned as well.  If you put a good flashlight behind the board you can check to make sure the legs are all on the pads.  Caution though, there are places that are supposed to be bridged so don't get an exacto out and try to "fix it".  Might search in the trouble shooting section as there were a couple of us that posted pretty detailed pictures of this. Edit: found it!   You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Also the etd seems to be pretty particular about getting enough flow on your soldering joints so the usual reflowing might help too.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, by TAdamsOK »

Offline mmciver

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2014, »
O.K. many moons later and here are some pictures.  so the issue is, i bought 2 etherdongles in either the first of second coop.  one is working fine, but this second one will not function.  With the power supply hooked up, no green power indicator on the board.  If I try to program with pickit 3 it does not program but the green power light comes on.  I really want to get this one functoning as a backup for my other one.  any ideas?

Mike.
650000 lights!
RGB elements
Combo Mega Tree
Never enough lights!

Offline vairmoose

• Patron Member
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2014, »
Recommend you pull (reference your photograph)  the 6n137 optocoupler chip on the right and re-seat.    it does not appear to be making proper contact.     (this may or may not fix your immediate problem but definitely would affect output).

Larry
3 today (standing at light switch, holding two lighters)
Going live in 2012

Offline mmciver

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2014, »
I will do that.  Dont think it will fix other problem either but great catch.  Thank you.
650000 lights!
RGB elements
Combo Mega Tree
Never enough lights!

Offline TexasStingray

• Coop Manager
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2014, »
Based on the assembly manual, you have the two Oscillators switched wrong. the 50.0 in the manual is the one closed to the power plug and yours is the 8.0 one.

Hope this helps
Scott Wanner
TX

Watch my videos
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline mmciver

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2014, »
Scott,

Thank you for catching that.  I didn' even look at that.  I have now changed the crystals into the proper sites.  I pulled up one trace on the 50.0 crystal so i had to fix that.  One done i retried power to the board.  Still no green light.  I checked the polarity of the LED and it looks correct.
It is frustrating to have one working fine and one dead:)
Any other suggestions.  My eyesite even with a magnifier cannot tell if any of the surface mount chips have any issues but I wouldn't think that would impact the power circuit.

Mike
650000 lights!
RGB elements
Combo Mega Tree
Never enough lights!

Offline TexasStingray

• Coop Manager
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2014, »
One thing I like to do after I soldered all the components in place is use rubbing alcohol on the back of the board with on old tooth brush to remove as much of the flux residue as possible this way it looks a little more professional and you can get cleaner pictures.

Were you able to program the pic.
Scott Wanner
TX

Watch my videos

Offline TexasStingray

• Coop Manager
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2014, »
Check to make sure you have the 7805 and 3.3v voltage regulators in the correct location and that they are not switched.
Scott Wanner
TX

Watch my videos

Offline bartels

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2014, »
I had purchased one from someone that was not assembled from the first coop.  I had a similar issue.  There are two chips that are surface mounted.  I had to take a flash light to the board on the back and inspect it with a magnify glass on the front side and I saw that two of the pins was not soldered to the pad.  At first I didn't see it but I used a needle and touched each pin lightly to see if it moved and that is how I ultimately found the issue.  I soldered it and this resolved my issue.  I spent a couple nights searching on the forum, trying everything, and found a post that lead to my resolution.  It would be worth inspecting the two pre soldered chips really closely and use a needle to try to wiggle them under a magnify glass.