Author Topic: Active hub not working  (Read 1573 times)

Offline therealbigjim

Active hub not working
« on: August 25, 2014, »
My main active hub has stopped working. I have pixel net in and it passes through to my 4 port hub. I have power on the board and the plug has power (I have an led tester). I plug a ssc in and nothing. put it on the passive board and I get blinky. The back up hub works fine. The universe is set 1 and 1 and the ssc is in the first universe, cant seem to figure it out.
"If you want more lights sell that old mustang"
        You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline tbone321

Re: Active hub not working
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, »
How are you powering the board?  Are you using an ATX supply or running it on 12V.  I would look at the the RS485 for universe 1 and the chip socket.  If you are using an ETD, then set up a quick test using Universe 2 and see if the SSC works then.   
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline MrChristmas2000

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, »
I have one word. Fuses. I bet you plugged in something that blew your fuses. I had the same thing happen once. After I had plugged in a bad cable several times I suddenly realized that I had blown several fuses. You can make a test cable that would bring out the 12v to hook a volt meter and see if you are getting power. I bought a test box that not only test for power but gives signal as well but that cost $20 + shipping at the time.

Offline therealbigjim

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, »
the fuse thing is an issue but I built a tester. There is power where I have the ssc plugged in.

Offline MrChristmas2000

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, »
The only other thing is that one of the hub signal jumpers has gone bad or one of the signal driver chips has gone bad.

Have you tried multiple ports on the hub. There are 4 driver chips and each one of those drives a different row of jacks. if all of the Jacks are signal dead then it becomes something common to all the driver chips or something could have actually killed all 4 chips.

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, »
Try different cat5 cables if you haven't already.  Try different ports on the hub, but as mentioned ... if they are blowing fuses, you won't easily know. 
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline drlucas

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2014, »
Try pushing down on the network cable all the way down. What I had happen on my boards is the connection is not solid and I get nothing downstream on the ssc. I found when I held down the network cable and put a little set screw in the jack it stayed down and worked like a champ. Maybe related.
-Ryan Lucas-
- Pickering, Ontario, Canada, Eh?! -

Offline therealbigjim

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2014, »
 It seems that the second row of plugs has power but is not getting pixel net, I  swapped the small chip at the at the top with the one from the forth row and I have blinky. I do have a number of blown fuses that I have putting off replacing. Guess I need to get to it.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2014, »
I would take a close look at your SSC's.  It appears that you may have a controller backfeeding 12V into the signal line.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline therealbigjim

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2014, »
I might have plugged in the cat5 cable from the 12 volt power supply and the 4 port hub into the active hub. I need to pay attention and watch out for silly mistakes like that in the future.