Author Topic: Path Editor  (Read 1409 times)

Offline IndianaChristmas

• Patron Member
Path Editor
« on: August 30, 2014, »
I know nobody on the xlights team has anything to do with the Path Editor application that has been provided so Audacity can use the Queen Mary markup add-ins.  However, it appears the web site for the app is down so I thought I would as a question about it here; maybe someone knows the answer.

I have Windows v8.  The version of the Path Editor application is: 2.0.2.1.  There is apparently a newer version but I can't access the web site. 
At anyrate, I add the path of the Queen Mary Add-ins and hit  "Save to Registry" and I get an error message stating the application is modifying something it shouldn't.  I cancel out of the error message as it tells me if I do so the app will ignore the error and continue.  Then the app just sits there and I get the spining circle icon and it never seems to finish the task (I see "Updating Registry..." under the "Save to registry" button).  The app isn't dead as I can still open about box etc without any issues.  It just doesn't complete the task. 
I go to Audacity to check if the process did occur and the add-ins aren't present.

Thanks.

Offline MrChristmas2000

Re: Path Editor
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, »
You may have to run the program as administrator.

Here is a download link for the latest version from cnet.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

You could send them an e-mail at  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to see if they respond.

Here is link to another path editor as well.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I have had no problems using the Nutcracker version on Windows 7.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, »
What do you need the path editor for?  I use the Queen Mary addons the just put them in the directory as specified in the installation instructions and they work without any other steps.  Am I missing some goodies?
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline IndianaChristmas

• Patron Member
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, »
I have tried the Path Editor, a no go.
I have searched the literature on installing plugins for Audacity.  Followed the instructions here: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login.  And still can't find the plugins.  Might be that the instructions are wrong for my particular purpose as this seems to focus on "Effects" and not "Analyze" plugins.

I have tried placing the files as you mentioned jnealand and no go.

I have a post out to the Audacity forums, as it seems like I should be able to install plugins without using Path Editor.

Thanks for input. 

Offline IndianaChristmas

• Patron Member
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, »
Solved.
The problem is that I have my Audacity installed on the E: drive and was thinking that the audacity also looked at E:\program files (x86)\vamp plugins.
This isn't the case.  It looks on the drive that windows is installed (C:) on and this is determined by the PATH_VAMP system variable.  That is why the Path Editor was included I assume but it really isn't needed if you do things correctly!

Why did I install Audacity on a different drive than C:?  C: is a smaller sized SSD that holds my operating system only.

Thanks.

Offline smeighan

• Patron Member
    • Nutcracker RGB Sequence Builder
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2014, »
Path editor I include with every xlights installation.originally, with nutcracker 2, you had to modify windows path for php to work. Since nutcracker 3.x you don't need path editor. If you follow installation instructions of vamp plugins for audacity you don't need to modify windows path OR just download the vamp plugin self extracting exe that I have at the top of my xlights releases page. It will install the plugins in the right place for you
Sean
Littleton, CO
Latest releases You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
xLights/Nutcracker Forum You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Fbook You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login