Author Topic: Plugged pixelnet cable to active hub  (Read 6042 times)

Offline PIC

Plugged pixelnet cable to active hub
« on: September 02, 2014, »
I had an etherdongle working with a zeus8.  Just hit in my power supply for an active hub.  I mistakingly plugged the pixelnet car to one of the active hub ssc outputs.  The active hub ps immediately turned off and that is where my problems started.  Now my etherdongle Zeus will not work.  Any ideas where to start?   Did I damage the optoisolators on the etherdongle?   Not sure???
164 Channels
2 Ren64, 1 Ren16, 1 Ren24
1- 24 Channel Mega Tree
1- 12 Channel Spiral Tree
Plan to start RGB next year.

Offline drlucas

Re: Plugged pixelnet cable to active hub
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, »
Go back to last working config. Etherdongle and Zeus. If you plug etherdongle into network jack does it get link light? If so that's half the problem gone. Next plug Zeus to pixelnet port and connect a single strand and see in rgb test mode of it works again.

Or if you have an LE or other device take out the active hub and see if you can get the etherdongle and active hub and LE to light up.

Hard to imagine why the active hub power supply shut off.  Was it disconnected by yourself immediately or did it power off automatically?

You might need to spell out more clearly the config when it was working and when it stopped.
-Ryan Lucas-
- Pickering, Ontario, Canada, Eh?! -

Offline PIC

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, »
I will check tonight.  Thanks for quick response. 
164 Channels
1- 24 Channel Mega Tree

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, »
did you plug the ca5 cable from the etherdongle output, into one of the 16 powered outputs of the active hub?
 if so, you sent 12 volts through your etherdongle.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline tbone321

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, »
You have probably caused damage to both the PS and the ETD.  There are two issues there.  The first is that you have causeda dead short across the  PS terminals and even though there is a fuse there, unless the PS has protection against that (and some do) there is a good chance that part of the PS fried before the fuse had a chance to blow.  The other issue is that as Chris said, you injected 12V into the ETD on its output.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, by tbone321 »
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, »
Was it the output of the ETD or the Network connection that you hooked up. I bet the Ethernet Magjack. This will indeed short on the power from the hub and it will fry the magjack on the ETD. I have replaced a few and it is very difficult to replace the magjack without damaging the pcb but it can be done. The Magjack is like $5.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline PIC

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, »
Thanks RJ.  Still in late meetings.  I will check on the lights when I get home. 
164 Channels
1- 24 Channel Mega Tree

Offline PIC

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, »
Setup.  Etherdongle to net gear switch to zeus8.  Network switch has blinking lights but etherdongle mag jack does not :(

Tbone321.  Appears the power supply turned itself off with built in protection.  Fired it up and appears all voltages ok.  Yay!

Sorry I am not sure if I plugged the active hub ssc output to the pixelnet on the Zeus or the network switch.  This is what happens when ur desk is too messy, all cables are same and I did not label. 

I will order a new mag jack.  Anything else I should get just in case?   
164 Channels
1- 24 Channel Mega Tree

Offline tbone321

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2014, »
You are getting me confused.  The Zeus and the ETD are two different devices.  Which one are you talking about?  Which one of these devices did you plug into one of the hubs SSC outputs?

Offline PIC

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2014, »
Sorry for confusion.  I know the etd.  However, in my scramble to get it working Mixed up cables and connected Zeus pixelnet to the hub also.  Bonehead move on my part.  If u take worst case...any other recommendations on parts to order besides mag jack?  Optoisolators? Serial driver chip? 

I did check etd and Zeus pics and they were ok.  Reflashed both just to make sure they were ok.
164 Channels
1- 24 Channel Mega Tree

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2014, »
The optos being hit would not cause the network to connection to fail. This is why I asked the question about which was hooked to which?

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline PIC

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2014, »
Thanks RJ.  Sorry for my lack of knowledge on the etherdongle.  I am learning.  Thanks again for all the advice.  I will order mag jack today.  Fingers crossed
164 Channels
1- 24 Channel Mega Tree

Offline tbone321

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2014, »
I am wondering how the optos failed.  If they just opened up, then the rest of the ETD (including the magjack) should still be operating.  If they failed by shorting, then it is possible that 12V got dumped onto the ETD's 5V rail and this can cause a lot of damage.  It does appear that something did short which caused his PS to shutdown.  He may want to do a few voltage measurements before ordering and attempting to install the new Magjack, especially if one or both of the pics are damaged.

Offline caretaker

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2014, »
Let's make sure we have a clear understanding of what happened. First a normal hook up for EtD and Zues 8.

Network(switch/router or computer)---> Etherdongle MAG Jack - EtD Output -----> Active Hub (Pixelnet In)- Pixelnet out-->Zues 8 - Zues 8 output(s) -----> strings

Now you were saying you plugged both the Etd and the pixelnet out from your active hub into your network switch?   
Jeff Squires
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline tbone321

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2014, »
No, what I believe that he is saying is that he plugged the chain into one of the active hubs controller outputs.