Author Topic: CUSTOM DUTY INVOICE????  (Read 1838 times)

Offline lboucher

• Boucher Family Lights
CUSTOM DUTY INVOICE????
« on: September 11, 2014, »
Hi All

So I ordered from lights from Ray.
Got the lights a few weeks ago and everything is fine.

Now, weeks later, I get a Custom Duty Invoice from DHL shipping?

What??

Never got that before.

And there is no way I am paying 6.50 for Payment Deferment.....

My order was under 1000 bucks.
Is this a scam by DHL or is the fed that desperate, and by desperate I mean stupid.
Hasn't someone told them they are printing all the money they need anyways..... Seem silly to suddenly start reaching this low for tax dollars.

Anybody else got this? Did you bother paying it?
Boucher Family Lights
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Richard

Re: CUSTOM DUTY INVOICE????
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, »
I received one after my last order with Ray about four months ago.  My order was around $2000.  The custom duty invoice showed up about three weeks after I received my lights.
Yes, I did pay it.  I have heard of a few other people getting these as well.  I think it depends on which form of shipping you use with Ray and what items are being declared.

The $6.50 deferment is the charge DHL adds to your bill for advancing the custom fees on your behalf.  Otherwise DHL could leave your lights/order in customs until you pay the fee.  DHL advances the money to cover customs so you don't have to wait for your package to be delivered.  That's where their deferment charge comes into play.

You should definitely consider paying.  The last thing you want to have happen is have DHL hold your next package hostage until you pay them all outstanding dues.  It might go to collections as well if you ignore them.

Offline drlucas

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, »
Similar issue in Canada...just 10x the cost on duty and taxes. Consider your import fees as minimal and yourself lucky. The odd part is DHL will not leave a package at my door unless I pay the fees upfront. I get notice if I'm not home, have to go online and pay and leave payment invoice number...or i can pay with credit card at the door. scam? no, but a bit misleading on the real shipping costs. I've had worse luck with other shipping companies and won't name names, but on the flip side with mouser and that same shipping company I get things delivered to my door taxes/duty included for a nominal fee every time and never have to pay because they deal with it (must be some crazy deal they have with shipping company). Anyways Richard's advice is good....collections is something you DON'T want even more than holding a package hostage because collections can hold your next mortgage renewal hostage....or at least north of the border it does
-Ryan Lucas-
- Pickering, Ontario, Canada, Eh?! -

Offline bcstuff

• Cape Coral, FL 33991
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, »
The last shipment and only shipment I received through Fedex they tried to charge me a customs fee to $87 for a declared value of $700. All other previous orders were shipped through DHL and I never heard a peep. For my most recent order I told Ray to only ship via DHL.
-Brian
-------------
2017 - Complete makeover, let's just say it's gonna be a few pixels.

2016 - Grad School Stinks :(
2015 - 16' Megatree, 8' MidiTrees, 8' MegaWreath, 6' Snowflake Spinners, Zwilluminariesâ„¢

Our Display Videos: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline kiplorenzo

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, »
I have recieved these and found that they are import taxes... Ray doesn't charge those.