Author Topic: Canceled etherdongle coop  (Read 1168 times)

Offline mac50

Canceled etherdongle coop
« on: September 11, 2014, »
I see a couple of members from the cancelled etherdongle coop  posting in search of dongles.  i can understand Todd not wanting to order
pcb, parts, and cases, sorting, packing and shipping when nobody is saving any money. I can imagine the time and effort it takes to run a coop.
However imho, it would have been nice to poll the members in the coop to see if they would want to buy just the pcb with surface mount ic's at whatever price a small order would have been. Then they could decide if they wanted to buy the pcb  and order other parts and cases from Mouser or DigiKey or whoever.  if you have invested in a bunch of smart pixels and need a dongle to run the show, you are  probably willing to pay more to get one.

Unless the store is going to get some in pcbs stock, then i'm full of __it.

md

Offline Dennis Cherry

• Maryville, Tennessee
    • Video's of Computerized Lights
Re: Canceled etherdongle coop
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, »
I have and ETD to sell and have offered it to someone on this forum. If he does not want it I will post it For Sale in the Buy n Sell section.
2013 videos now available You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline tbone321

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I see a couple of members from the cancelled etherdongle coop  posting in search of dongles.  i can understand Todd not wanting to order
pcb, parts, and cases, sorting, packing and shipping when nobody is saving any money. I can imagine the time and effort it takes to run a coop.
However imho, it would have been nice to poll the members in the coop to see if they would want to buy just the pcb with surface mount ic's at whatever price a small order would have been. Then they could decide if they wanted to buy the pcb  and order other parts and cases from Mouser or DigiKey or whoever.  if you have invested in a bunch of smart pixels and need a dongle to run the show, you are  probably willing to pay more to get one.

Unless the store is going to get some in pcbs stock, then i'm full of __it.

md

If you only need one universe of PixelNet for this season, you could use the USB dongle.  It can be flashed for PixelNet and in the future, it could be used for bench testing either PixelNet or DMD devices.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline arw01

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, »
There was a few of us email Jim at San Devices to add pixelnet support to his product as well, it can output DMX and we were encouraging him to add pixelnet as an output option too.  A few more emails might just put it over the edge and open up another angle with more flexibility.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2014, »
There still is the issue of being able to program the devices for start channels etc that will require an ETD or a USB dongle.  Program as in configure not as in flashing firmware.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline mac50

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2014, »
I don't personally need one, even though I was in the coop.  I was referring to a couple of posts from other members from the coop searching for etherdongles.

Thanks
md

Offline MAnthony

• I'm so broke, I cant pay attention!!
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, »
I know this coop had to be frustrating and a little disappointing, but please know my appreciation for the time and effort put into it.  I am always fascinated in the logistical and organizational skills required to pull off these coops, not to mention the time and effort you have to steal from your real world lives to make it happen.  That said, I don't have an etherdongle.  I don't want to just buy one ready made as that is someone else's handiwork (no offense, a big part of this hobby/project is me doing the work).  Who makes the pcb?  Can I have them make it and then buy the parts from Mouser?  Does anyone have an etherdongle pcb for sale?  I welcome all ideas on other avenues of pursuit.

Don't judge

Anthony
If you say you can't, you never will,
If you say you can, you already have.

Sign hanging above my office door 'don't bother coming in, you already annoy me'