Author Topic: LE problem  (Read 5265 times)

Offline Brad

• Patron Member
LE problem
« on: May 19, 2009, »
Hi All,

Fired up my 2nd LE last Sunday and had 4 ch's not working. #2,#13,#14,#15. Checked the bottom for cold solder joints. Lifted a couple opto's to check for bent pins, all okay. Made sure all opto's were seated properly.
Any thoughts?

Brad
2007- 32 Ch Grinch, >6K lights...2008- 128 Ch Freestyle, 23,000 Lights, 2009- Lynx Freestyle & Lynx Express, 26K Lights....Wife thinks I'm nuts!

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: LE problem
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Hi All,

Fired up my 2nd LE last Sunday and had 4 ch's not working. #2,#13,#14,#15. Checked the bottom for cold solder joints. Lifted a couple opto's to check for bent pins, all okay. Made sure all opto's were seated properly.
Any thoughts?

Brad

Hi Brad

The four channels not working did you have light sets connected or just looking at the on board leds?

if just the leds I would bet they are in backwards (don't ask me how I know this :))

Oh, did you run the on board test mode?

Rick R.

Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline Brad

• Patron Member
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, »
Rick,

I had lights attached. I used "all ch's on" in Vixen as well as had a 1 min sequence running. Nothing wrong there. LE #1 worked fine with the same sequence.
I will look at the LED's when I get home from work.

Brad
2007- 32 Ch Grinch, >6K lights...2008- 128 Ch Freestyle, 23,000 Lights, 2009- Lynx Freestyle & Lynx Express, 26K Lights....Wife thinks I'm nuts!

Offline memphislights

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, »
If you are still having problems, can you post a pic of the bottom of the board?
It's not about more, it's about enough.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, »
Let us know what you are seeing so we can help.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline Brad

• Patron Member
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, »
I'm thinking I may have 4 bad opto's, but what are the odds of that? The low voltage side of the opto's all have the same level. The output side has 110v on pins 4&5, as you would expect, but only on the lit LED's. The ones not working have near 0V on pin 4 and 110v on pin 5.

Brad

Offline Brad

• Patron Member
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, »
Forgot to attach pic.

Brad

Offline Brad

• Patron Member
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, »
Well it's definitely not the optocouplers. I remembered I had 4 left over from last year. Tried em. Didn't fix the problem. Humm...I think the pic is next in line.

Brad

Offline Ron

• Patron Member
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009, »
Can you get a picture of the other side of the board too, where we can see the components?

Ron

Offline Brad

• Patron Member
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2009, »
Sure

Offline memphislights

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2009, »
I had a similar problem on my first LE build.  I would try hitting the "problem" triacs again with the soldering iron.  It also looks like a couple of resistor joints near channel 14 and 15 look cold.

Offline Brad

• Patron Member
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2009, »
Memphis,

I see what you are looking at. I went over all joints from the limiting resistors, ahead of the optos, all the way to the output terminal blocks.

Brad

Offline memphislights

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2009, »
I'm thinking I may have 4 bad opto's, but what are the odds of that? The low voltage side of the opto's all have the same level. The output side has 110v on pins 4&5, as you would expect, but only on the lit LED's. The ones not working have near 0V on pin 4 and 110v on pin 5.

Brad

So do all of the channel leds turn on in the test mode?

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2009, »

Brad

Yes this is my question also. If the leds for a channel are lighting the pic is doing its thing. The same current that turns the Led on also turns the opto on. If the leds do not light #1 to check is backwards led on that channel. Then the pic might be changed. Simple design so it will have a simple answer.

Catch me on teamspeak and we can walk through a complete test in a few minutes that will tell you exactly what is wrong.

RJ

BTW it might be the light fooling me but it looks like you have at least two of the 180 resistors on the bottom leg that look like they are unsoldered? check and make sure this is not correct.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, by RJ »
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline Brad

• Patron Member
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2009, »

Brad

Yes this is my question also. If the leds for a channel are lighting the pic is doing its thing. The same current that turns the Led on also turns the opto on. If the leds do not light #1 to check is backwards led on that channel. Then the pic might be changed. Simple design so it will have a simple answer.

Catch me on teamspeak and we can walk through a complete test in a few minutes that will tell you exactly what is wrong.

RJ

BTW it might be the light fooling me but it looks like you have at least two of the 180 resistors on the bottom leg that look like they are unsoldered? check and make sure this is not correct.

I sure hate when life gets in the way of my hobby's :(
I had to bail on the troubleshooting for a couple of days, cause of work obligations and yard work :( :(
Now that the lawn is mowed, fertilized, and looking good... I'll recap what I have tried.

1.  Resoldered all joints in question from 330ohm resistor to terminal header.
1a. Verified all LED's are oriented correctly.
2.  Replaced the 4 opto's with new.
3.  Swapped the Pic with Pic from LE #1.

LED's #2,13,14,15 do not light up, nor does mini lights on these ch's.
Going to look over solder joints in the sunlight today. Hopefully I've missed something in the dark, dingy light of my cave.

Brad