Author Topic: LE problem  (Read 5268 times)

Offline RJ

• Administrator
Re: LE problem
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2009, »
Ok lets try some good old directed troubleshooting.

Lets forget than anything is wrong except channel #2. What do we know. The LED does not light and the triac does not trigger power.

Well if the led does not come on and the LED is good and in the correct direction. Then we only need to fix the LED coming on. WHY? because the LED is a troubleshooting device as well as looking cool. It tells me that the opto is not being trigger so the triac should not be coming on.

With this said we have two possiblitys. One we are not getting the trigger pulses to the led to turn it on. (GROUND) or the power is not reaching the LED.

Check  pin #3 of the pic chip for a good solder joint and that the pics pin is in the socket good and not bent. 
Check the channel #2 led for good joints and that it is in correct.
check the 4th 180 resistor from the left looking at the top of the pcb. Look at the joints and verify that is is a 180 ohm and not a swapped 330.

If this is all correct then put your ohm meter on pin #3 of the pic chip on the top of the chip. Check for a connection to the led (-) side on the top of the led.

then check for a connection from the led (+) to the top of the 4th 180 ohm resistor (should read between 173 - 187 ohms) if not there is a problem there.

Let me know what you find with this.

Ignore the other channels work only on channel #2 for the time.

RJ

Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline Brad

• Patron Member
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2009, »
RJ,
First of all thanks for the help. Got it fixed and running ;D
Still not sure exactly what the problem was. No continuity between 330 ohm and pin 3. Resoldered bottom, still no continuity. Resoldered from top, no continuity. Did again...still no continuity ???
Stuck a test lead between resistor and solder joint on bottom of pcb at pin 3. I got continuity ;D
Did the same on ch's 13,14,15, all LED's work.
Soldered jumper wires on effected traces every thing is good now.
Only thing I can think of is maybe the via's are not connected to the trace??

Again, thanks for the help.

Brad
2007- 32 Ch Grinch, >6K lights...2008- 128 Ch Freestyle, 23,000 Lights, 2009- Lynx Freestyle & Lynx Express, 26K Lights....Wife thinks I'm nuts!

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2009, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
RJ,
First of all thanks for the help. Got it fixed and running ;D
Still not sure exactly what the problem was. No continuity between 330 ohm and pin 3. Resoldered bottom, still no continuity. Resoldered from top, no continuity. Did again...still no continuity ???
Stuck a test lead between resistor and solder joint on bottom of pcb at pin 3. I got continuity ;D
Did the same on ch's 13,14,15, all LED's work.
Soldered jumper wires on effected traces every thing is good now.
Only thing I can think of is maybe the via's are not connected to the trace??

Again, thanks for the help.

Brad

That concerns me. No sign of damage? the PCB's all get electrical tested at the PCB house so I would not expect this. Mail me the unit and if it is the board and there is no damage to it I will replace the kit for you.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline Brad

• Patron Member
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2009, »
RJ,

I see no physical damage to the board. I'm fine with the board the way it is. I soldered jumper wire on the bottom side, and will secure it with RTV. No one will ever know it's there except you and
me :D
If, on the other hand, you need to see it for quality control reasons, I understand. But really, I'm fine with it.

Brad
2007- 32 Ch Grinch, >6K lights...2008- 128 Ch Freestyle, 23,000 Lights, 2009- Lynx Freestyle & Lynx Express, 26K Lights....Wife thinks I'm nuts!

Offline PJNMCT

• Patron Member
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2009, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
No one will ever know it's there except you and
me :D

and me. ;D
Leesburg, FL