Author Topic: strange phenomon  (Read 1031 times)

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
strange phenomon
« on: September 19, 2014, »
To check a string length I created an xlights test selection set that selects every 10th red channel which would be the first channel in the 10th bulb., ie.  28, 58, 88, etc.  By counting the bulbs lit I can easily count the length of the string without having to physically count every node.  The approx 100 node string I am currently testing works great with with the xlights RGB cycle with channels 1-300 selected.  But if I turn on my every 10th red selection I get about 1/3 of the bulbs lit per color slider.  I'm using the RGB test section of xlights and selecting background color only.  There are 3 sliders which (I assume) would be one each for Red, Green, Blue.  I move the first slider (they are not labeled as to color since different string types have different color orders) all the way up and get about 1/3 of the nodes lit red with everything else off, no other colors lit,  Add the second slider and I get another 1/3, then the third slider gives me the rest of the reds as I would expect.  I do not understand why all the reds would not come on with a single slider.  Yet  using the RGB cycle all colors work exactly as expected.  I've rechecked the selection and even created a little excel sheet to create the proper channel numbers.  I'd like to understand what is going on here.  Anyone got a thought and what might be wrong.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline CaptainMurdoch

Re: strange phenomon
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, »
It sounds like xLights is treating the individual channels you selected as R, G, and B. So since you checked the first channel on every 10th pixel you would get every 30th pixel turning red when you move the sliders.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, »
xlights is supposed to treat those at RGB and nodes always go in RGB order.  So I check the R of the 30th node which has channels 28, 29, 30 as R, G, and B.  They all work fine if select channels 1-300 to test and use the first slider - all the reds work as expected, but why does it not work when I select every tenth red channel?
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline CaptainMurdoch

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, »
I haven't tested this bit it sounds like when you turn on channels 1, 31, 61, that xLights is treating 1 as R, 31 as G, and 61 as B, etc down the line.  That would explain what you are seeing in the slider test.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2014, »
I just tried turning all channels on for every 10th node and now it works, I can use the first slider and get every 10th red or every 10th green with the middle slider and every 10th blue using the last slider.  with all sliders full up every 10 node is white.  It fails if I select only the red channels of every 10th node and I assume it would also fail if I selected every 10th blue channel.  Must be a bug in xlights.  At least I'm feeling more confident that my string is not messed up.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline tbone321

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2014, »
There was really no way that it could be the string. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving