Author Topic: cat5 to 4 core connector diagram  (Read 3176 times)

Offline mitch09

cat5 to 4 core connector diagram
« on: September 25, 2014, »
Is there a visual diagram for the cat5 to 4 core pigtail conversion. I live in the very wet Pacific northwest and had a couple cat5 failures last year due to water/corrosion. I am contemplating  switching my in-yard cat5 ends to the 4 core, but need a diagram.

Thanks,

Ryan

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
Re: cat5 to 4 core connector diagram
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, »
Try this link, this is what I use.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, »
+1
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline mitch09

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, »
Thanks Jim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline mitch09

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, »
I am having some trouble getting the 4-core waterproof connectors to work on my cat5 ends. I have wired them using the diagram Jim linked, but can't get anything to blink. I know my cat5 wires are fine as they worked just prior to me cutting them. I know that the SSC v4 is fine as it also worked prior to replacing the cat5 dongle end with a 4-core end. I have tested all the 4-core plugs to make sure they have continuity. I even tested continuity through the plugs to the cat5 pins and all is well. Maybe I am wiring incorrectly? I have plugs that are blue,green, brown, black.  Black is -(ground), Brown is +, blue is data1, greeen is data2.

What else can I check?

Ryan

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2014, »
Do you have the male end on the SSC and the female end on the cat5?  Not sure if that would mess anything up, but the convention is to not have exposed pins coming from the power source. So exposed 4 conductor pins will always be on the SSC and exposed 3 conductor pins will always be on the lights. 
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline mitch09

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2014, »
Sure do. Here is a pic of one before heat shrink
 Removed picture so as not to confuse others
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, by mitch09 »

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2014, »
Sure do. Here is a pic of one before heat shrink

this is not the way that I do the 4-core wiring...  i connect the cat5 orange to the 4-core green, and the cat5 orange/white to the 4-core blue.

orange/white should be your pixelnet+ and orange should be your pixelnet-.

if you are consistent in your own setup for cables and for SSC, it doesn't really matter if your scheme is swapped from the wiki description -- but you should be careful when mixing your cables and SSCs with the setups implemented by others.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline mitch09

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2014, »
Steve,
I actually have a couple the way you pointed out. The one in the pick is one I quickly soldered to try with the data swapped.

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2014, »
Steve,
I actually have a couple the way you pointed out. The one in the pick is one I quickly soldered to try with the data swapped.

ok...   I was afraid the picture might be used as an example of how the wiring should be done...  so it could cause problems for others.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2014, »
I would check your 4 pin connectors and make sure that they are all ok.   Use a continuity tester (or ohm meter) and check the 4 pin connectors color to color to make sure that they are making the connection across the connector.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline mitch09

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2014, »
I think I found my problem. Bad ports on my 4-port passive. I missed have blown the fuses playing around with the wires. I moved the cat5 to a 16-port passive and all is well. Thanks for the troubleshooting everyone

Offline zwiller

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2014, »
I had similar problems with the cat5 but also the SSC itself, so I went a similar direction but opted to go Zeus 8 for all elements on ground and first story.  Although in v4 beta I was happy with 15' to first node I went 10' so that's 20' spread.  Managed to get the Zeus and PS to fit nicely in a CG1500.  I have probably replaced 20-30 hub fuses by now, so the Zeus will make this a bit easier too. 
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."