Author Topic: It's either cry, or share.  (Read 1723 times)

Offline mr2hogs

It's either cry, or share.
« on: September 25, 2014, »
OK, here goes the short version.

Tuesday morning, at 3 am, I was awaken by my dogs going nuts in the garage (that is where they sleep).  The next thing I notice was a strong smell I couldn't initially place; that is until I opened the door to the garage.  My wife had left the garage door up about 6 inches to give the dogs some cool air, apparently a skunk thought that was an invite to pay my dogs a visit.

Let just say that I don't think the skunk missed one square inch of the dogs or the garage.

Total cost:
2 nights in a hotel (the whole house reeks)
Having to rewashing all of our cloths (and not at home)
Washing my dogs at 4 in the morning with every home remedy known or thought to remove the smell of skunk.
Scrubbing the house from top to bottom.
Having to throw away two of my Halloween projects because there was no way to remove the odor from where they were sprayed.
Purchased countless air fresheners, candles, mint, anything that smells good.

Have a skunk story to share with my grandkids when I have them ... priceless

BTW, does anyone know how to get skunk smell out of my Smart Strings. 

Offline vairmoose

• Patron Member
Re: It's either cry, or share.
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, »
CorrosionX  ?       
3 today (standing at light switch, holding two lighters)
Going live in 2012

Offline johno123

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, »

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
CorrosionX  ?       
Good idea.  That stuff stinks almost as bad!

Offline dkulp

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2014, »

For a couple years we had a skunk living in the woods behind our house and our dogs would get spray at least once a year, usually at 11 at night (before bed) or 6 in the morning.   Yea, not fun.

The first time it happened was late at night after the stores were all closed.  I went from gas station mini-mart to mini-mart grabbing anything related to all the home remedies.  Not fun.    We quickly learned to keep several bottles of "Skunk Off" shampoo and spray and lotion in the house.   

Offline mr2hogs

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2014, »
+1 to the skunk off shampoo.

For those that always want pictures, here is the skunk

Offline kiplorenzo

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2014, »
Skunk: Pain in the A** Peppe' Le Pew thing that is in Love with my Cat! :)

I did find a remedy that takes skunk out very quickly... Faster than Tomato Juice...
LYSOL (Aerosol Cans) I have had our doberman get hit with it in the face... Covered Eyes, Nose, Ears, Sprayed gently, then wiped him off with a towel.
He smelled a very much less skunkish and after a bath, smelled more like the lysol.

Just for future knowledge. :D

Offline t.jo13

• Coop Manager
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2014, »
I can feel your pain.... one of our dogs tangled with a skunk a few years back before we moved and it was just outside the living room window , we had the drift and the dog running into the house wiping her face off everywhere. The only thing we could find to remove the odor  was a product called odor ban. They sell it at sams club ( the place we buy it at) even used it on the dog. Mixed it 50/50  could not believe how well it worked. You can even use it on garments. We have a friend that has some rentals and one tenant moved out after having a cat for years. My how it stunk . Eye watering like a skunk. Removed carpet dumped mixture on cement floor and mopped it around . When it dried odor gone. Its some amazing stuff. Have not found an odor it could not get rid of. Now we use it regulary on several things like dog beds,accidents ect. If the smell is still hanging around give the odor ban a try it really works well.

Joe

Offline mr2hogs

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2014, »
Thanks for the tips that I hope I never need.