Author Topic: no lights from zues solved  (Read 3045 times)

Offline tombmatt

no lights from zues solved
« on: September 26, 2014, »
have it built flashed pics used utility to program got flashing white lites with utility. vixen 2.1 can get the dongle data led to light up when clicking a channel on and off in test. xlights the data led flashes constantly but no lights in vixen of xlights any ideas??
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, by tombmatt »

Offline tbone321

Re: no lights from zues
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, »
You need to give more information.  The fact that you are getting the flashing white lights during config shows that the PixelNet USB dongle, connection cable, and the Zeus is working together.  This indicates that the issue is in the configuration of something.  What were the configuration parameters that you set the Zeus up with?  What driver are you using for the dongle in Xlights or Vixen?  What channel numbers are you using to test?
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline tombmatt

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, »
using the utility I set the first channel to 1 all (16) string individual pixels forward 50 nodes  0 null grouping1 rgb using usb dongle. in xlights/nutcracker it is a usb with pixelnet. in vixen it is usb with the 2.1 pixelnet dll in the output folder. xlights is set to 1 pixelnet universe and vixen has I pixelnet and 1 dmx universe the pixelnet is the first universe I also have vixen set with just 3600 channels using dmx with pixelnet dll in folder. one added note when I used the utility the lights did not go out when I stoped transmitting I had to shut off the power supply to turn lights off. I turned on all channels in xlights/nutcracker and in vixen

Offline tombmatt

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2014, »
got lights in xlights still no lights in vixen

Offline tbone321

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2014, »
Like I said, it is a configuration issue.  You may want to post this question in the Vixen forum.  You may have a better chance of someone there having the answer that you need.

Offline tombmatt

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2014, »
okay Ill try there thanks

Offline tombmatt

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2014, »
okay I have lights in xlights/nutcracker lights follow whats on screen. go to vixen have no lights pull up scanview and vixen is putting out like it should. etherdongle is blinking like mad but nothing is lighting up. is it vixen or do I have something set wrong on the zues

Offline tbone321

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2014, »
The Zeus doesn't know anything about the sequencing software.  All it does is respond to commands coming from the dongle so the issue still has to be the software configuration.  You probably need to take a look at the channel mapping in Vixen.  The channel number in the sequence may be different than the physical channel number of the device.  There is no channel 513 in DMX but the channel could exist in Vixen.  If you had two DMX dongles, Vixen could map channel 513 to device 2 - channel 1.  Due to configuration issues, Vixen could be mapping your test output to a different universe on the ETD.  You can check for that by setting the Zeus to different Universes and see if it begins lighting the lights.  Also make sure that the ETD is the only dongle configured.  If you have other output devices configured, it could be sending your test dimming to one of those and just be sending zero's to the ETD. 

Offline tombmatt

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2014, »
okay I have lights but. if I have a run with 1 color say red all I get is white light if I run a twinkle effect lets say I get multi colors is it vixen or do I need to reflash the zues?

Offline tombmatt

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2014, »
ran some more did a bars with nutcracker and only get white light? something is wrong in Denmark

Offline tbone321

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2014, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
okay I have lights but. if I have a run with 1 color say red all I get is white light if I run a twinkle effect lets say I get multi colors is it vixen or do I need to reflash the zues?

There is nothing wrong with the Zeus.  You need to remember that a pixel is a 3 channel device and you are either using single channel options or you have the string configured as single channel items.  If you use the twinkle effect, it randomly sends various dimming levels to ALL of the channels.  Since each node is composed of 3 channels, as each channel of the pixel is varied, the node will change color to reflect the changing balance of the 3 color levels. 

As for the single color issue, remember that the sequencing software doesn't know red from green, from blue.  That is something that you define for it.  If you define a channel group of single channels and call it red, then the software will refer to the group as red but that is just a definition.  If you then say red on, it will turn on all of the channels you defined into the red group and if that is a group of single channels, then it will turn on all three LED's of each node in the channel group which happens to be white, exactly what you are seeing. 

The hardware has proven itself to be functional and reflashing the Zeus is not necessary.  There may still be some configuration issues but that will not fix the problems here either.  The issue now is getting past the learning curve dealing with pixels in both Xlights and Vixen.  Once you get past that point and have the strings defined properly, then most of the functions will do what you expect.  The colors may be wrong but that can be corrected with the configuration utility.   I'm not sure if twinkle can be used with nodes or any multi-channel device.

Offline tombmatt

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2014, »
I found the problem in vixen it wasn't that I had the strings or channels set wrong it was that I didn't have them defined to handle color right deleted the megatree and then rebuilt it and defined the color handling and it works properly I vixen now. now I have to go back and rebuild the sequences since when I deleted the megatree it deleted the elements etc but it works and I  will now have a show this year thanks for the help

Offline tbone321

Re: no lights from zues solved
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2014, »
You are welcome and remember to post some vids of the show that you create.