Author Topic: SSR4 Enclosures  (Read 5282 times)

Offline Iced

SSR4 Enclosures
« on: October 06, 2014, »
Hello again!

What are you guys using, if anything, for SSR4 enclosures besides the Keptel TA-200.  I'm wondering how creative you guys have been to cut down on costs even further and of course... if you have pictures, please share them!

--Iced

Offline dmaccole

• PacificaLights.info
Re: SSR4 Enclosures
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, »
Don't know that it's cheaper, but I prefer using the Sean Bowf concept of including standard electrical outlets in a standard Carlon electrical box:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

HTH.

\dmc

Offline Iced

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, »
Thanks dmaccole,  pretty cool.  I also took that route for a prototype but used a square steel electrical box.  I'll try and post a picture or two later tonight!

Offline n1ist

• Coop Manager
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, »
Just remember that the square steel and in-wall plastic boxes are not waterproof.  If you use a metal box, make sure the ground (green) wire on the incoming power cord is connected to the box for safety.
/mike

Offline dmaccole

• PacificaLights.info
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, »
Just remember that the square steel and in-wall plastic boxes are not waterproof.

The link I posted is aimed a general audience and while I address the issue, it is but a sentence fragment at the end ... these boxes are mounted on stakes 18 inches off the ground and then covered in plastic garbage bags. In the first couple of seasons I opened them up periodically to see if there was any water incursion and found none. Of course, in the last couple of seasons, we haven't had rain in December, so it's been something of a moot point.

\dmc

PS: And, yes, the ground runs from the third prong all the way back to the outlet, which in every case is a GFCI.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, by dmaccole »

Offline sabie

• Santa's Runway
    • Santas-Runway-Christmas-Lights-Display
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2014, »
not cheap but use the following very waterproof

i mount the board to back inside box and wire up to each outlet

don't forget to brake the tabs on hot side of plug between screws

make sure the first item is the extra deep box

i cut the cord connector rubber bushing to allow both cables to be run thru it

i run the ac power and the dmx cable thru the cord connector and use silicon to seal the cord connector at the cut
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, by sabie »

Offline Iced

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2014, »
You guys are awesome, thanks for all the tips and feedback.  I ended up ordering 100 TA-200's from ExcessSupply for $3.13/each

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
SSR4 Enclosures
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2014, »
With all due respect ... I've wasted so much money on failed or problematic ssr4's ,,, the only DLA failures I've ever had ... I'd stay with Lynx express and avoid the ssr4 ... Way better design and more cost effective per channel.   I mean I would not use them as a 4 channel dmx controller, but with a freestyle -- no problem,
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, by taybrynn »
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline t.jo13

• Coop Manager
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2014, »
Taybrynn that's an interesting observation for the SSR. Not to hijack this tread I will start a new one and look forward to your opinion

Joe

Offline Iced

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2014, »
Hi Taybrynn, I think you're saying you had a good experience with the SSR4 w/o DMX and a bad experience with the SSR4 w/ DMX.  Is that correct? 

I had 70 SSR4's without the DMX option that I had collected over a number of years and finally put them all together this year.  I also have 3 FS's and 4x LE v5.0 and 1x LE v5.1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline packetbob

• zappedmyself.com
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2014, »
The setup described by sabie is almost exactly how I have done my SSR4s...

The only thing different is I used a surface mount double RJ45 mounted on the side of the box for the DMX connection. I keep these covered up in the rain so I wasn't worried about it being waterproof but i did want it to handle being knocked around.... I added the neon light just so I could confirm it was getting power....
zappedmyself.com

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2014, »
Correct ... I found that the sse4 DMX mod requires a high degree if technical ability to build And even program .... I know it can be done but it's not real easy like most of the other kits
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2014, »
All 8 of my SSR4s use the DMX option with wireless.  They all work fine.  The biggest problem I had was getting the initial start address in them, but I have not changed those for several years now and they still work fine.  I'm still using them, but mostly to turn on/off static items like blowmolds, inflatable lights (not motor), nativity, etc.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline dmaccole

• PacificaLights.info
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2014, »
Yeah, 14 SSR4 w/DMX for this year's show, 13 last year, 12 in 2011, 10 in 2010, eight in 2009 and four in 2008. Never had one fail (knock on timber). Difficult to get the start channel loaded? Yep (except when it isn't).

I have an Express sitting here I've never built; intended it for my midi-tree but the year I was building it I realized I had enough spare SSR4 w/DMX that I didn't need to build the Express.

\dmc