Author Topic: Using Smart String Utility v2 with SSCs  (Read 2100 times)

Offline txag2008

• Lights of Nazareth
Using Smart String Utility v2 with SSCs
« on: October 14, 2014, »
Can the Smart String Utility V2 be used to program SSC's or is it specifically meant to be used for the Zeus. 

I do not have a Zeus (I use an active hub and SSC's) but I was wanting to use the V2 utility in order to change the color order of my string (RGB vs GBR vs BGR etc...).
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
Re: Using Smart String Utility v2 with SSCs
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, »

There has always been some ability to change color order (this is done when you select pixel types -- flex, rigid, rectangle, bulbs, etc.)   The firmware change (and matching software utility) allows any possible color order to be used.

The tool and the firmware must be in lockstep with the color-order capability.
I've asked RJ in a separate thread to comment on whether this support was added across the board.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline johno123

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2014, »
Hate to bring up an old thread... but a couple of my zeus channels fried in the last few days that are attached to technicolor V2's from Ray, and I've been trying to get the correct color order on my SSC V4's as a backup.... All the settings in the normal Smart String Utility (including rectangles) still have incorrect RGB order with those strings. 

Any chance that it's allowed or supported to flash the new color order with the start channel correctly with the Zeus utility?

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2014, »
Someone will have to remind me. Didn't we have this ability and I had to change it to turn off the SSC's cause people we killing the firmware of the Zeus's by using the wrong choice?

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline johno123

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2015, »
I suppose I can give it a shot with one of my V4 SSC's and see what happens.  Worst case I just re-install the firmware on it with my Pickit, right?

Offline plaberge

• Every good project requires a new tool
    • Laberge Christmas Lights
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2015, »
I didn't know that was possible to explicitly specify color order (apart from picking a pixel type) on an individual SCC using the programmer. I would have found this ability very useful this year - I bought some additional flex strips for my megatree from Ray and for some reason, they had a different color order, so I couldn't use them. Being able to change the color order on the SCC would have solved that problem.
- Paul
  North Vancouver, BC
  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline oj70chevy

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2015, »
That would be great. I just got 10 flex strips from Ray and am having the same issue. out of the 4 I have tested so far 2 are lighting the way they should the other 2 are in another color order. I did change the type and tried all of them flex, rigid, rectangle, ect and get the same results. the colors may change but cant seem to get red first. Ill have to test the rest of my strips to get a full assessment.
Thanks
Ralph

Offline johno123

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2015, »
I know it's late in the season - but is there any more appetite to allow the explicit color order for SSC's instead of just the Zeus?  Again, replacing numerous strings this year with my pile of technicolor V2's and V3's from Ray - and none of the SSC color orders work.  The only workaround was finding one of the options on the programmer to get them to GBR, and then shifting the start order over two channels.  However, that causes many issues when I have a white chase around the string that makes the first pixel in the chase to be red....