Author Topic: Zeus v1 problems  (Read 3262 times)

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
Re: Zeus v1 problems
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2014, »
for future reference, Rick has placed the mouser direct for the zues in the wiki. have you tried changing your cat 5 cable feeding your zues? can't see that being an issue since it is flashing when programmed but it's worth a shot. good luck, I hope you get it working. 
Florence, KY

facebook.com/hearthstonelights

Offline tbone321

Re: Zeus v1 problems
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2014, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Since I can configure each chip and get the lights to flash I have also been told that the oscillator could not be the problem or the lights would never flash. 

If RJ told you this then I may be more willing to believe it but even then......  Since NONE of the outputs are working, it really needs to be something in common with all of the outputs.  Since the lights flashed when being programmed, that rules out both power and the signal outputs or nothing would have happened at all.  It also rules out the signal input or once again, nothing would have happened at all.  The only other things that they have in common is the program jumper and the clock oscillator. 

One experiment to try is to try and program the chips with the program jumper still in the run mode.  If the PIC's take the program and flash the lights, then you have a short in the program link which is holding all of the PIC's in program mode.  As for the clock, there could be a few issues there.  I do believe that the PIC has its own clock but it is not running at the correct frequency for what we are doing.  If the PIC fail safes to its internal clock when it doesn't see a signal on the external input (and most do), then it will still be able to accept the configuration signal (timing is not critical here) but will not be clocking at the correct frequency to run the code needed to control the lights (where timing is critical).

With this in mind, there could be a few issues to look at.  The first is that the oscillator has failed completely.  I know that you took some measurements but not at the correct pins.  You can look up the data sheet on Mouser to see what pins to use and measure from ground to output.  The voltage should be about 1/2 that of the input voltage.  No or full input voltage between the output and ground indicates a failed unit.  BTW, pin 1 (the one at the dot) is not being used so any reading using that pin should be zero.

You can also check the part number of the oscillator and make sure that it is the correct one.  It is possible that an incorrect part got into the shipment of parts to the coop manager and since they all look the same and the part number is hard to see, it is possible that it would get past the coop manager as well as the shipper that sent the parts to begin with.  If it is clocking at the wrong frequency, then the output code will not run properly if at all.

The final thing is that the oscillator is running out of spec.  This will also allow the PIC to accept the configuration but not control the nodes and sadly, the only way to find this is with a scope.  Another thing to look at is the connection point of the oscillator.  On the Zeus 16, that would be the cap above the 4th PIC.  Make sure that the cap is properly soldered and not defective.   
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, by tbone321 »
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving