Author Topic: Zues issue, help appreciated  (Read 7923 times)

Offline tindivall

Zues issue, help appreciated
« on: October 20, 2014, »
I am gearing up, testing new lights for this upcoming year etc... Using same Etherdongle and Zeus 16 (v1) from last year...

run ethernet cable from computer to dongle, nother cable to zues board... plug in 1 100 node string into String 1 area...

Etherdongle is showing green indicator light, I have the ethernet going into the in on the zues... programmer jumper is covering both posts...

Launch the SS Utility v2... select etherdongle, Zeus, select 1 in drop down box, Start channel 1, Individual pixels, forward, node count 100, 0 null, grouping 1, RGB..... Click transmit

The yellow/orange light on etherdongle lights up (solid not flashing ?? I thought last year it was flashing as it was getting the data but could be wrong).... 

However nothing outputs to the lights, no flashing white, nothing... dead

Tried a few different sets of lights, checked the fuses.... I am not sure what else to look at so turning to you guys expert opinions
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, by tindivall »

Offline tbone321

Re: Zues (or Etherdongle) issue, help appreciate
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, »
I guess that I am not understanding exactly what you are saying.  What do you mean by saying that the Ethernet is going into the in on the zeus?  The Ethernet jack on the ETD should be plugged into the Ethernet jack (RJ45) on the PC.  The output of the ETD should be connected to the Zeus input.  Make sure that the zeus is set to universe 1 and that the string connected to it is functional and connected correctly.  Don't just go be colors on the wires because they tend to change without warning.  Also make sure that you are connected to the strings input side and not the output.  If you connect to the output side, nothing will happen.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline tindivall

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, »
Apologize for not explaining it well enough...

I my computer -> Ethernet Cable plugged into computer and running to etherdongle (connection with green & orange light) -> Another Ethernet Cable from 2nd plug on etherdongle to the Zues board.

1) I plugged in a string of 100 nodes and attempted to test... got nothing
2) I plugged in that same string using the other end just in case ..... nothing
3) I plugged in a different string.... nothing
4) I got a 120 node strip and connected with arrow pointing away from the  zues..... nothing

I am going to attempt connecting a different zues board and see if that works

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, »
1 - is the Zeus powered up?
2 - is the pic on the Zeus flashed with the latest firmware?
3 - Did you verify that the input side of each set of lights to the Zeus?

Do you have any SSC that has test firmware to be able to test the lights themselves ?

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline tbone321

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, »
Along with what Rick said, does the PC have an IP address?  If not, then assign it one.  You may also want to put a switch between the PC and the ETD.  This will deal with any need for a crossover cable.  Also make sure that the cables are ok.

Offline tindivall

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2014, »
ok revisiting this as I got frustrated and just walked away for a bit.... I started using a 2nd Zues board I had it was working fine however getting the same problems now

I am not knowledgeable on how to flash the Zues... I read the article on using the Pickit3 (which I used for the Etherdongle) however I didn't see anywhere to plug the pickit into the Zues... also since the Zues was previously working I would assume that the firmware isn't an issue (but I could be wrong)

The Zues is power on, and yes made sure that the lights were connected from the proper end

I will try the switch and see if that fixes the issue.....

It should be noted that while the lights don't flash white when outputting from the SSUtility V2, when I power off the power supply to the zues board the lights will go white and then fade out as the power goes down.

Offline tindivall

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2014, »
Additional update... plugged in my 3rd and final Zues board.... everything is working again....  so obviously not an issue with computer/software, etherdongle, or lights.... something is going on with the Zues boards.....

Maybe firmware??? like Rick said? but seems odd it would be working 1 day... come back the next and it is not....  and as I said not up to speed on how to update the firmware on the Zues.

Offline tbone321

Re: Zues issue, help appreciated
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2014, »
I think that the problem was that you used the wrong version of the utility on the Zeus.  You should ONLY use the Zeus version of the utility on it and not the SSC version or it will lock up the device and require the PIC's firmware to be re-flashed.  There is no ICSP header on the Zeus so the Zeus PIC's need to be re-flashed off of the device.  You will need to either use a SSC Ver4 or a separate socket to flash it and either the Pickit-2 or Picket-3 can do it.  Make sure that you use the Zeus firmware and that you have the correct version of the utility before configuring it or you will be re-flashing the firmware again.

Offline tindivall

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2014, »
Lynx Smart String Utility V2 ... it is the only thing I have downloaded for setting up the lights as I only just got into the hobby last year and only have the 3 zues boards put together atm.

But assuming I do have to re-flash (which I am not opposed to trying) is there a link on the wiki that will walk me through that process?   I will have some SSCv4 when the COOP gets mailed out here in a few days.

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2014, »
Lynx Smart String Utility V2 ... it is the only thing I have downloaded for setting up the lights as I only just got into the hobby last year and only have the 3 zues boards put together atm.

But assuming I do have to re-flash (which I am not opposed to trying) is there a link on the wiki that will walk me through that process?   I will have some SSCv4 when the COOP gets mailed out here in a few days.

you can use the smart string utility with the zues capability, you just have to make sure select zues, if you choose ssc, you will have to reflash the pics. I still use the ssc utility with the zues and it works fine, you just have to be conscious of selecting zues, it defaults to ssc's as soon  as you open it.

as for flashing the pics, I just went to radio shack and bought a bread board and made my own socket to program my pics since I don't have any ssc v4's. takes 5 minutes to set it up and works great. here is the link for the jumper chart to make your own redneck pic programmer as it's called. here is a picture of my set up. good luck.
Florence, KY

facebook.com/hearthstonelights

Offline tindivall

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2014, »
appreciate the link and info.. I will look into it this information and see if I can understand it or make heads/tails out of it

I would also like to note that I went and looked at my Smart String Utility program to see if I had maybe used SSC instead of Zues... it won't even let me select the SSC... the radio button is only active for Zues and SSC is grayed out.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2014, »
Then you have the correct utility.  Did you check the fuses on the Zeus?

Offline tindivall

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2014, »
So looking at that link it looks like the boards that came with the PICkit 3 are listed there... the ISCP 14 or 28 .... just gotta understand what it all means now :P

tbone, yeah I wondered that myself but checked them and they are good, and they are lighting up when I power down.... I am really thinking something happened and it isn't accepting the data so going to try and get the firmware back on there somehow, just have to figure out/understand how to do it :P

Offline tbone321

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2014, »
Here is another thing to try.  Take the 485 out of one of the Zeus that is not working and swap it into the one that is and see if it still does.  If so, then the 485 is good and if not, then that is your problem.  Before swapping a good 485 into one of the failed Zeus units, I would do a few voltage measurements and make sure that everything looks good.

Offline tindivall

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2014, »
And you lost me :P   I don't know what this 485 you speak of is

As for trying to understand the chart for the adapter ... You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

From reading that I assume when it says connect x to x (step 2 - 6) I need to have some wire to do that?

Then step 7?? No idea what the ZIF Pin-1 is... assume it is on the Zues board but not sure what / where or how to connect it to the PIC24F04KA200