Author Topic: Zues issue, help appreciated  (Read 7936 times)

Offline RJ

• Administrator
Re: Zues issue, help appreciated
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2014, »
Do you guys mean defective pcb?  I don't remember any pcbs being bad.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline tindivall

« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2014, »
Both of the bad boards worked... they were both used last year for christmas show, I also used 1 this summer for a demo (although don't know which of the 2)

1 board wasn't working when I first started testing.

The 2nd board was working ... both flashing white when programming with SSC Utility as well as testing with XLights....   however a couple days later when I went back to test more lights it had stopped working as well.

3rd board has been working fine so far, it is the only board that has never been used (up until now)

All V1 Zues boards form the very 1st COOP

Offline tbone321

« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2014, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Do you guys mean defective pcb?  I don't remember any pcbs being bad.

RJ

When I was saying a bad board, I was referring to the unit as a whole instead of just a specific part on it.  I believe that your input here may be required.  The testing so far is showing that this issue is not the actual PIC's or the output sections.  This leaves either the input or the clocking of the PIC's as the probable cause.  Without the schematic, there is no easy way to determine what the probable cause is.

When you put a functioning PIC on the non-functioning unit, it no longer functions.  If you hook it up to the configuration utility and set the unit to program mode, it will flash the nodes, indicating that the input is working and showing that the output works.  When you switch back to run mode, the PIC still does not respond to commands.  If you then put this PIC back into the working unit, it no longer functions.  This indicates to me that while in program mode in the non-functioning unit, the data being loaded is not being loaded properly and is corrupting the PIC. 

My question is could the clock oscillator circuit cause these issues? 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline tindivall

« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2014, »
The Functioning PIC when put back in the working board continues to operate correctly

Offline tindivall

« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2014, »
Recap so far :

Have 3 V1 Zues boards... 2 were used in last years show & 1 never used

This year those 2 are not working, can't get them to flash in program mode

The 1 unit not used last year works fine.   By taking the PIC out of the working unit and placing in the bad unit I can then get it to flash in program mode, however can not get any output when changed to run mode.

The Working PIC can then be placed back in the working board and it operates correctly both in programming and running mode.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2014, »
Ok, here is another test.  Take the PIC from the working unit and put it into the non-working one.  Use the config utility and change some of the settings such as the starting channel.  Then put the PIC back into the working unit and see if it is still working and if the configuration changes took effect.  If so, then we know that the communications side appears to be fully functional and the issue appears to be pointing more to the clock.

Offline tindivall

« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2014, »
Just to confirm on this test.... take the PIC from spot 1 on working unit... put in Spot 2 on the non-working.... program the PIC .... then move it back to the Working unit Spot 2 and see if it works?

Offline tbone321

« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2014, »
Yes, this is correct.  Make a change that you will be able to see such as changing the start address or the grouping on the nodes and see if the new configuration takes hold when you put the PIC back into the working unit.  This will confirm that the input side is fully functional if it works.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2014, »
Make sure the firmware and utility are correct and the latest. We had a issue earlier on that created these kind of issues. It was when the utility was sending data for a ssc to the Zeus it would corrupt due to the data being different. These odd issues sound like what you are seeing.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline tbone321

« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2014, »
I thought the same thing initially but if that were the case, then the working PIC from the working unit would also work in the failed unit and that is not what is happening.  He also said that the utility that he is using has the SSC option disabled which is the most current utility for the Zeus.

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2014, »
Question the boards that work last season and now don't. Have you tried to reflow the solder joints? Might be a cold solder joint.

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline tindivall

« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2014, »
tbone didn't get to test last night but will attempt tonight and let you know

rrowan I have not but I wouldn't think they would work at all if that was the case, and via tbone's testing we have gotten them to flash so to me that would eliminate that option.

Offline tindivall

« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2014, »
I had to walk away from this for a bit because it is just so darn frustrating.....   

Ok I did the test TBone asked... took a PIC from Working Board Spot2 and put in Spot 1 on nonworking board and attempted to program it.... then moved to Spot 1 on working board ... nothing

I finally got SSC's built and flashed one of the pics from a non working board.... plugged back into working board... it worked. Turned off board, turn back on... nothing

Took same chip and reflashed again.. plugged into working board.. works... turn off board and turn back on.. still works

So reflashed a 3rd time... put in non working board.. works... turn off and back on doesnt work.... so took out and put in working board (without reflashing) and doesn't work.

Offline lizard050

« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2014, »
I am having a similar issue.  Had 1 working all day yesterday and today.  Built a second one and got that working.  Went back to the 1st one just to make sure and nothing.  Will try re flashing all the picks and re program. 
Brad
South Florida

Offline lizard050

« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2014, »
re flashed all picked and then was able to re program and seems to be working now
Brad
South Florida