Author Topic: Hubs - Pixelnet Out  (Read 1509 times)

Offline twooly

• Blah
    • Todd Woolums
Hubs - Pixelnet Out
« on: October 21, 2014, »
On the hubs (Active and Passive) does the output output all the pixelnet universes or just a single universe?
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline tbone321

Re: Hubs - Pixelnet Out
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, »
That depends on the output that you are talking about.  The Pixelnet output sends all 4 universes while the controller outputs only the universe that it is set to work with.  The hub send both the signal and power to the controllers connected to it which eats up 3 of the 4 pairs in the CAT5 cable. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline twooly

• Blah
    • Todd Woolums
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, »
Opps sorry the pixelnet output not the SSC output with the power.

Thank you.

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, »
the pixelnet outputs (not powered SSC outputs) carry over all 4 pixelnet universes found on the input port.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline twooly

• Blah
    • Todd Woolums
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, »
One last question, the 4 port passive hubs they always take the first pair for their universe?  So if I wanted them to be on Universe 2 I would need to make a cable putting the second pair first?

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, »
One last question, the 4 port passive hubs they always take the first pair for their universe?  So if I wanted them to be on Universe 2 I would need to make a cable putting the second pair first?

yes, the 4-port only takes the first pair (first universe).  this allows you to use any of the following as input:    (1) a USB pixelnet dongle, (2) a smart hub pixelnet out, (3) a (POWERED) SSC output from the smart hub, or (4) an EtD.

to select a different universe, you can use a Combiner kit...  or you can also modify a cable to grab your needed pair of wires coming from the source hub and connect them to the first pair (orange/white, orange) on the input to the 4-port hub.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline tbone321

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, »
That depends on how you intend to use it.  You are correct that it uses the first pair for all of it's outputs.  The original intention was for it to extend the number of ports on a 16 port hub so if you plug it into one of the 16 port hubs controller outputs, then all 4 ports will be on the universe that the hub it is connected to was configured to work with.  If you are using it as a standalone device, then you would need to create a custom cable moving the universe you want it to work with to the first pair.  Remember that this was not its intended use and it doesn't have a term resistor which could lead to some issues with signal reflection.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, by tbone321 »

Offline twooly

• Blah
    • Todd Woolums
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2014, »
Yep I understand its one of those situations where I didn't think I was going to break a universe but I am and only need 2 ports in a different universe so I would hate to use a full 16 (plus I don't have one).

Offline tbone321

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2014, »
I get that and using a 16 port device for two ports seems like a waste of equipment to me as well.  People have done it and it has worked for them so give it a try.  Since power is not being transported on this connection, you don't need to use stranded wire here which makes creating custom cables much easier to build. 

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2014, »
I get that and using a 16 port device for two ports seems like a waste of equipment to me as well.  People have done it and it has worked for them so give it a try.  Since power is not being transported on this connection, you don't need to use stranded wire here which makes creating custom cables much easier to build.
twisted pair is recommended for longer distances to extend the reach of pixelnet.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2014, »
Standard CAT5 will easily carry the Pixelnet signal as far and farther than the CAT5 recommended distance and is much easier to terminate than stranded CAT5.  Stranded is recommended (more like required) for PixelNet controller lines because it has slightly better conductivity and more flexibility than standard which helps to lower voltage drop and prevents wire breakage which would put its max current capability below what we may be pulling.