Author Topic: 2 Ex/RX Units don't work  (Read 3346 times)

Offline JimWright

• Patron Member
  • Jim and his sidekick Tiger
    • Wright's Lights
2 Ex/RX Units don't work
« on: October 22, 2014, »
I built around 14 of the EX/RX wireless receivers about 2 years ago. All of them work great and have done so since I built them, except for 2. I have double and triple checked the component placement. All seems good. No cold or connected solder joints that I can find.

The power light comes on when connected to the Aether II. However,  the data light does not flash and the unit does not seem to be sending any data to the light controller. Other receivers work with the light controller, so that is not the issue.

Any troubleshooting ideas?
Thanks. Jim
Jim Wright

Offline bisquit476

• Patron Member
Re: 2 Ex/RX Units don't work
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, »
Reflash the PIC, and if no help, r&r the PIC with a known good unit, I've had PIC's go bad but show a good hex checksum.

Offline JimWright

• Patron Member
    • Wright's Lights
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, »
Thanks. That is one thing I haven't tried. Will do and will let you know.
Jim
Jim Wright

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, »
I have one just like that.  I have had several people look at it including some big guns from this forum.  I have reheated all the solder joints, swapped pics. etc. but no luck.  The last suggestion I received was to remove the wireless module and clean underneath it before putting it back on, but I have never gotten around to that since I have enough units that I have other spares or could use a cable between two close units.  I feel your pain.  I may never touch this again since every year I use fewer AC controllers and more pixel controllers.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline JimWright

• Patron Member
    • Wright's Lights
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, »
This took several days. I had to buy some more pics. Both of the pics in the non-working boards would not flash - I tested them in a working Ex/Rx and they would not function after a reflash. The reflash indicated that it worked but obviously, it did not.

One board is working great now. Thanks!

I am still having problems with the other. The new PIC is flashed and works great. I have tested it in a working receiver and it works fine. However I still have a problem. When connected to a working Aether II the power light comes on and the green data light will flash normally for about 2 seconds. Then the data light stops blinking and does not restart. Reapplying power will start things up again, then the data light stops blinking. Of course, no data is being received by the flood. I have rechecked all components and they are in the correct location. I have re-soldered all connections.

Any ideas on what to do next?
Thanks
Jim
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, by JimWright »
Jim Wright

Offline tbone321

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, »
Where are you putting the EX/RX?  If it is in the case and the back of the case is facing the transmitter, there is a pretty good chance that the case is blocking the signal.  IIRC, that initial flashing of the data LED is the EX/RX confirming its configuration so make sure that it is on the channel that you want it to be on.  There is a chance that the transceiver module is defective.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline JimWright

• Patron Member
    • Wright's Lights
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, »
For this testing, the receiver is outside of the case, not touching anything but air. And it is only about 10 feet from the transmitter. It is on the correct channel (no jumpers in place). Is there anyway to test the transceiver module, or to see if it is working at all?
Thanks
Jim W
Jim Wright

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2014, »
I've also got a couple ex/rx that have never worked for me.  I was able to run a cat5 fast enough ... so just gave up. 

I'm following this thread with anticipation, as I've already learned some things I haven't tried -- THANKS and GOOD LUCK!
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login