Author Topic: Thinking out loud ....color wall washer  (Read 1748 times)

Offline blearning

• Sound of Light
Thinking out loud ....color wall washer
« on: May 23, 2009, »
I am thinking of a wall washer ... a color wash kind of thing. SO to test the theory I took out my handy dandy 9 Light super bright flashlight, the ones you pick up at the sales counter for 99 cents.

I put my colored Gel sheet in front of it .. it does a pretty good job of washing a wall at about 25 feet away.. washes the wall as desired about 20 feet wide and about 15 feet high.  That would work for me.   

SO I am thinking (trouble) .. if I picked up say 20 of them ($20.00) (I need 4 colors)  remove the batteries, mount the casing in a housing and attach my controller to it .. I should have  a nice wall washer  ...

now what do I do with the 60 penlight batteries ...
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, by blearning »
Merry Lightmass
Bill  AKA blearning AKA BL

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
Re: Thinking out loud ....color wall washer
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, »
Greetings,,,

Spare batteries for the 21st?

(Knew I shouldn't have left you alone to consider wall wash possibilities...)   :-)

Keith
"Now I know the only foe is time." -Moody Blues

Offline blearning

• Sound of Light
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, »
OK .. So the plan has some flaws :-)

There is still time ...  186 days to be exact
Merry Lightmass

Offline magic8192

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, »
I am not sure about the light, but the first thing I thought of, is why not a flood light? 

Offline WWNF911

• Patron Member
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I am not sure about the light, but the first thing I thought of, is why not a flood light? 

For the cost of the plan that would be the cheaper way to go. :)

Just have to think about the power requirements.

Have you given thought to the MR16 controller and some of Wirekat's MR16s?

Just a thought.

Leon
Leon

Offline blearning

• Sound of Light
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2009, »
Well that is what got me to thinking ..

the controller is a wash ... we need a controller for any method ..

WireKats MR16 floods look to be about 36 LEDS from what the pictures show.  if you can read there are 32    At 5.45 plus per 32 ..  which equals about 15 cents each ..

Bills Led Acquiring method is 11 cents a peice ..

More LEDs more brighter ... Bills 20 flashlights = $20.00 and 180 LEDS ..  to get 180 LEDS MR16 Style ..  about 32.50  ... plus shipping ... Bill's method no shipping ...

No offense Wirekat ... ;-)

12 bucks savings is like 6 strings of lights come Nov. at HL .. or after Christmas sales could be 60 strings of lights .. or another 12 flashlights and 98 more LEDS.  Just for those who are that way .. YES I KNOW I would need to get 99 more LEDS with the saving ..

if I could find something to use the 60 odd penlight batteries this would be a done deal .. ;-)

Merry Lightmass

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2009, »
Greetings,,,

To be fair and nitpicky.  You've got to consider taxes and cost of gels, though if you already have gels you can take that off.  And you do have an option of putting a slowly revolving gel colored disc in front of the lights, thus the old Christmas tree changing color routine.

The gels will reduce the light a little, vs using leds of a certain color.  But you've already found your output acceptable to you.  Many ways to light the night...

How about putting a single led with the spare batteries to give the kids that show up?  Everyone takes a little light home?

...or not... :-)

Keith
"Now I know the only foe is time." -Moody Blues

Offline blearning

• Sound of Light
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2009, »
Yes yes thanks Keith,

.. the gels even though I have some did cost me some money and I use them for other things so I would need some more ..  there goes the plan again. 

But the good news is ... I passed the WAF (wife acceptance factor) ;-) Now I can go for the budget increase .... 

I wonder if I can PORK in a pop riveter on this project ... 

To the Budget lady

"I considered the possibilities and found that it would be cheaper to buy MR16s for this  project."   "Wanna See the Numbers"?

She never wants to see the numbers ..

« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, by blearning »
Merry Lightmass

Offline WWNF911

• Patron Member
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2009, »
Always glad to hear you got the go ahead from wifey. :)  That's more than half the battle in my house. :)

I have to know where you're shopping after X-mas sales. I can't find 60 of anything worth getting here in Reno for 12 bucks.

Leon
Leon