Author Topic: one string no data  (Read 2084 times)

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
one string no data
« on: October 28, 2014, »
I have one string not producing data. I have flashed the pic, swapped with a known working pic, and the pic works fine on another string. when I take the data wire and put it on a working string, the string lights up. what other than the pic allows data to pass? capacitor, resistor or mosfet?
Florence, KY

facebook.com/hearthstonelights

Offline Made2Rock

Re: one string no data
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, »
is the fuse blown?
Born to Rock, but to old to Roll

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
is the fuse blown?

fuse controls power, I have 12v at the screw terminals. just no data being received
Florence, KY

Offline Made2Rock

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, »
I think before anyone can give you good advice we need more details. You have 12 volts but measure where. When you take the data wire and put it to another string it works but is this the wire that is coming off the board (it sounds like but then the lights would work).

See what I mean. Need to know where the data string is good up to and how you tested it (sounds like a jumper). Did you measure 12V on coming off the board? measure at the plug?

Joe

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, »
there is no data transmitting threw string output 7. the nodes connected to string out put 7 work just fine. if I remove just the data wire from string output 7(leaving red and green power connected to string output 7), and touch data output(blue) on string 8(screw terminals on the zues) the light string works fine.

1. verified light string(50 nodes) works fine
2. flashed pic24 for string out put 7- no results
3. removed pic24 from string output 6(worked just fine) and inserted into string output 7- no results
4. put pic 24(from string output 7 freshly flashed) into chip socket for string output 6 and it works just fine- not a bad chip issue(will check socket pins
5. verified 12v at screw terminals mounted on zues as well as both sides of the fuse. voltage is not the issue, data delivery. I am checking solder
     joints after sending this reply.
Florence, KY

Offline Made2Rock

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, »
My guess would be the mosfet, I don't know for sure but it looks like the chip drives the mosfet. So if the chip is good your next guess would be the mosfet.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, »
It could be the Mosfet, it could also be an issue with the 330 ohm resistor next to the mosfet.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline Made2Rock

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2014, »
The odds of it being the resistor are very very low. If it is anywhere in the ball park of 330 ohm it will be good enough to produce some results that you could see and you see nothing. On the other hand a mosfet could go bad. Yeas ago I was tech and I can't ever remember replacing a "bad" resistor. The only time they ever when bad was when something cause them to burn up and visible signs of being bad.

Joe

Offline tbone321

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2014, »
I'm not saying that it is the resistor, I'm saying that it is a possibility.  I have had a few resistors show up defective (open) right out of the packaging.  It is rare but it does happen. 

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2014, »
how do I test the mosfet? I don't have another one to just swap them out. I have to order some from mouser but there still is no mouser direct for the zues. I assume they are the same as the sscv4? ohm part of my meter seems to not be working so I can't test the resistor at this time. will do it later when I get off work.
Florence, KY

Offline Made2Rock

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2014, »
First question. Do you have a ohm meter? if so you can measure the resistor. Do you have a volt meter?

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2014, »
I have to order some from mouser but there still is no mouser direct for the zues.
I added the mouser links for the Zeuses

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2014, »
I have to order some from mouser but there still is no mouser direct for the zues.
I added the mouser links for the Zeuses

Rick R.

thanks rick

First question. Do you have a ohm meter? if so you can measure the resistor. Do you have a volt meter?

as stated in last post, ohm part of my meter isn't working properly. due to working late I didn't have a chance to get a new multi meter, time to spend a little money and get a good one.  cheap little harbor freight job only works so long
Florence, KY

Offline tbone321

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2014, »
What exactly is it NOT doing?  If the battery gets weak, some meters can do some strange things.

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2014, »
it's just not reading ohms. it will read voltage ac and dc. 12v to 220. every now and then if you rub the leads together long enough you will get an ohm reading. I will have to look around the house to see if I have a 9v battery to throw in it.
Florence, KY