Author Topic: SSCv3 Programming  (Read 2457 times)

Offline loveroflife96

• Coop Manager
  • Brandon Christmas 2010
    • My Christmas Display Website
SSCv3 Programming
« on: October 28, 2014, »
Okay...feeling dumb but I'm gonna ask.  I have my CPU hooked up to ETD hooked up to Active HUB hooked up to SSC with v3 modification hooked up to lights.  All firmware has been checked and all firmware's checksum are correct.  All Cat5 cables are brand new from Monoprice.  When I go to program the SSC (which I've moved the jumper over to program and ensured that I've choosen the ETD link as the programmer in the software), the first three nodes of the string light up white, red, and blue respectively.  What in the world am I doing incorrect?  I programmed over 50 of these last year and apparently drank too much egg nog during January and have lost my touch....

Duane

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: SSCv3 Programming
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, »
Which firmware are you using? Standard or Test??

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline loveroflife96

• Coop Manager
  • Brandon Christmas 2010
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, »
Have standard firmware loaded on the SSC

Offline tbone321

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, »
Did you try a different string to make sure that this issue is not the string itself?
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline loveroflife96

• Coop Manager
  • Brandon Christmas 2010
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, »
I've tried it on three different strings that were okay last year and two different SSCs.  I've tried it on a different Active HUB with the same results.  It has to be something simple I'm missing but I can't figure it out.  There isn't anything that's changed in the hardware (all have been previously deployed last year).  The only software change is that I've restore my computer and reinstalled all the programs.

Duane

Offline tbone321

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, »
Make sure that you are using the correct version of the config utility.  There are a few versions out there and they are not all compatible with the various hardware.

Offline loveroflife96

• Coop Manager
  • Brandon Christmas 2010
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2014, »
Yep...I've tried v3 and v4 of the SSC, tried the configuration tools that match.  Thought of one thing that could be causing my issue.  I installed Norton Security software on my computer which I've never worked with before.  Last year I had McAfee on my machine.  Could Norton be blocking the outgoing ethernet signal or messing with it?  I have no clue how to look/see if this is what is happening...anyone with any suggestions?

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2014, »
Just go to Norton settings and turn the AV how for 15 minutes.  But I doubt that would be the problem.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, by jnealand »
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2014, »
What universe is the active hub set to?  I believe it must be set to #1 for what your doing. 
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline loveroflife96

• Coop Manager
  • Brandon Christmas 2010
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2014, »
Okay...eliminiated the Norton issue by trying my netbook with no security installed.  Also tried programming off a 4 port passive hub bypassing any issues with the active/passive/zeus hubs.  Still no luck.  Had planned to do a simple halloween show, but that's shot now but now I'm more worried overall at how I can get my SSCs programmed for Christmas ;-/  Tried using the utility under the v3 and v4 in the wiki...no luck.  And yes, all items have always been set on universe 1.

Duane

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2014, »
Okay...eliminiated the Norton issue by trying my netbook with no security installed.  Also tried programming off a 4 port passive hub bypassing any issues with the active/passive/zeus hubs.  Still no luck.  Had planned to do a simple halloween show, but that's shot now but now I'm more worried overall at how I can get my SSCs programmed for Christmas ;-/  Tried using the utility under the v3 and v4 in the wiki...no luck.  And yes, all items have always been set on universe 1.

Duane

have you been able to pinpoint it to the SSCs?  Do you have other pixelnet or DMX controllers that you can attach to the hub and see if they work?

do you have a pixelnet USB dongle that you can use in place of the EtD?
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline tbone321

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2014, »
Yep...I've tried v3 and v4 of the SSC, tried the configuration tools that match.  Thought of one thing that could be causing my issue.  I installed Norton Security software on my computer which I've never worked with before.  Last year I had McAfee on my machine.  Could Norton be blocking the outgoing ethernet signal or messing with it?  I have no clue how to look/see if this is what is happening...anyone with any suggestions?

Ok, this is getting me confused.  I hope that you are not swapping around firmware.  The firmware is specific to the version of the SSC that you are using and cannot be swapped around.  Doing so in some situations can actually damage the unit.  Ver 1, 2, and 3 all use the same PIC but use different pin outputs from the PIC which makes them incompatible and Ver4 uses a completely different PIC and output circuit. 

Have these Ver3 boards ever been tested or working or is this their first time in use?  Make sure that there are loaded with ONLY Ver3 firmware.  If these are untested boards, you may want to take some closup pics and post them so we can see if there are any issues with the mods.  Also make sure that you are working with the correct config utility.  The Ver4 utility probably will not work properly,  Sadly, software and proper version control is lacking here. 

Offline loveroflife96

• Coop Manager
  • Brandon Christmas 2010
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2014, »

Ok, this is getting me confused.  I hope that you are not swapping around firmware.  The firmware is specific to the version of the SSC that you are using and cannot be swapped around.  Doing so in some situations can actually damage the unit.  Ver 1, 2, and 3 all use the same PIC but use different pin outputs from the PIC which makes them incompatible and Ver4 uses a completely different PIC and output circuit. 

Have these Ver3 boards ever been tested or working or is this their first time in use?  Make sure that there are loaded with ONLY Ver3 firmware.  If these are untested boards, you may want to take some closup pics and post them so we can see if there are any issues with the mods.  Also make sure that you are working with the correct config utility.  The Ver4 utility probably will not work properly,  Sadly, software and proper version control is lacking here.

Sorry for the confusion.  I initially posted with the v3 issue, but since, I've pulled out some v4 that I've had and came up with the same results.  I've used the utility under the v3 SSC in the wiki as well as the utility under the V4 string in the wiki to try to program the respective SSC versions and both have experienced the same 3 node phenomenon.  I believe they are the same utility for both but wanted to make sure that wasn't the issue.  The correct firmware for each SSC has been loaded and the checksum value is correct.  All hardware was deployed last year in my show and worked without a hitch.

When I get home today I'm going to try Steve's suggestions as plug some DMX up to the HUBs to see if anything comes from that.  Also going to take my conductor and flash it back to a regular ETD and see if that will work.  I know this has to be something simple, it just isn't making sense...

Offline tbone321

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2014, »
I do not believe that the conductor is capable of running any configuration utility and the unit will not operate as an EtherDongle with the Conductor firmware loaded.  If you want the unit to operate as an EDT, then you need to flash it with the EDT firmware.  I'm not sure if the Conductor board needs to be removed but for now, I would suggest doing that as well to eliminate one more possible variable.