Author Topic: RGB- Blacklight  (Read 6008 times)

Offline mitch09

RGB- Blacklight
« on: October 30, 2014, »
Does anyone have a good color combination to represent Blacklight using their Smart Strings?

Thanks,
Ryan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
Re: RGB- Blacklight
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, »

A [/size]black light[/color][/size], also referred to as a [/color][/size]UV-A light[/color][/size], [/color][/size]Wood's lamp[/color][/size], or simply [/color][/size]ultraviolet light[/color][/size], is a [/color][/size]You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login[/color][/size] which emits long wave ([/color][/size]You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login[/color][/size]) [/color][/size]You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login[/color][/size] and not much visible light.[/color][/size] [/color][/size]The lamp has a violet filter material, either on the bulb or in a separate glass filter in the lamp housing, which blocks most visible light and allows through UV,[/color][/size]so the lamp has a dim violet glow when operating.[/color][/size] [/color][/size]Black light bulbs which have this filter have a lighting industry designation that includes the letters "BLB".[/color][/size]

what are you trying to achieve?  without the filters or the special bulbs I don't see how you'd get the "invisible" spectrum.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline tbone321

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, »
Steve, you really need to back off of the text formatting.  None of it worked on my PC and it made the first few lines just about unreadable with all of the visible formatting tags jammed up in the text.  The simple answer is that there is no "color combination" to create "black light" with your LED strings.  True black lights operate on a frequency that the smart string LED's were not designed to output.  As most will tell you, even the incandescent "black lights" are pretty much worthless.  While the filter paint blocks most of the visible light, ican filaments just don't put out much light in the required wave length.  The ones that really work are the florescent ones because they are designed to put out much more of the required wavelength.  If you really need or want black light in your display to get some things to glow, I would incorporate an actual black light.  I do believe that LED black lights exist now and unlike their florescent counterparts, some are dimmable which makes them much easier to use with a standard dimming controller.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, »
yeah... !?#<% copy/paste. 

It looks good as it is pasted into the text box, but later, after posting, it shows all of the markups.
I see this happen often in PMs.  I've tried to sanitize it by putting it into notepad.exe first -- something that doesn't handle bold/italic/fonts/colors... and it works only sometimes.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline tbone321

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, »
LOL, I get that with the copy / paste method.  Did you try the preview button to see what it should look like when posted?  I am just curious to see if the preview is fooled as well.  I use that a lot when I am doing some funky quoting and it saved my butt more than once.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline mitch09

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, »
I realize that I cannot produce"black-light". I just wanted a shade of purple similar. I currently use a couple black-lights on my porch but wanted the window outlines wrapped in nodes to match as close as possible since I run them dimmed and flickering at the same time as the black-light.

I cannot for the life of me get a good match.

Ryan

Offline CaptainMurdoch

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, »
I am not sure if it helps much but there is a similar discussion and some RGB values to try in this forum thread:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline mitch09

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2014, »
Thanks Chris. I found that too but the values they give don't work well. At least to my eye. I was just being lazy. I can keep experimenting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline CaptainMurdoch

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2014, »
This might be too late for you, but in case you see this in the morning and have a chance to test before daylight, you might try some really low numbers like RGB 5/0/5 or even lower like 3/0/3.  They seem to create a dim purplish black tone on some TM1804 square nodes I have.