Author Topic: SSC and LOR  (Read 2955 times)

Offline RickeyS

SSC and LOR
« on: November 03, 2014, »
Is it possible to use a USB dongle flashed with Pixelnet with LOR? I want to control about 200 pixels along my roof line. At the same time I will be using E.131 to pixlite controller to control 12 WS2811 flex strips bought as a package from holidaycoro. I don't want to have to replace the pixels that are along my roof line (they have been up for three years)
Thanks
Rick

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
Re: SSC and LOR
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, »
Yes, but you would need a smart string hub which would take the pixelnet IN and then use the SS-HUB DMX out port, which gives you a single DMX universe of 512 channels out (you can jumper selected which 512, but its typically the first 512 pixelnet channels which are used on the DMX out port as the same channel# in DMX.   Falcon has some hardware that could take the pixelnet in and give you even more DMX channels I believe.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline RickeyS

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, »
I guess I'm not understanding, I do have a hub. What I need to know is can LOR S3 output yo a Lynx usb dongle flashed with Pixelnet? I want to run S3 software to control my roof line which has 200 pixels controlled by the SSC controllers via a hub via a Lynx usb dongle. And then also control the pixlite controller via E.131

Thanks
Rick

Offline therealbigjim

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, »
With LOR you would treat the sequencing like it was DMX. The dongle and the other equipment do the pixelnet stuff. You would set up 8 DMX universes in your LOR set up for the Pixelnet flashed dongle.  On the back end out of the hub the first 512 channels can be used for DMX gear. The LOR boxes can use DMX if the DMX signal is sent on the correct wires in the cat5 cable. There is a DMX to LOR cable in the wiki.  There are several programs to help with RGB sequencing in LOR from user "ItsMEBobo". Also check the LOR forum. Also check out Xlights. 
"If you want more lights sell that old mustang"

Offline therealbigjim

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2014, »
And look at grouping your channels if you don't need single pixel control.  its cuts down on sequencing and setting up the sequence time. Also each dongle and be set on its own network. LOR, Lynx and the pixellight. but like I said the LOR stuff can use DMX the trade off is you loose the LOR shimmer and twinkle because they are protocol based.
"If you want more lights sell that old mustang"

Offline TheQueb

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2014, »
Can the pixelnet dongle be set up in addition to my regular LOR dongle in LOR?  I've been running the show with xlights the past few years but I think I'd rather run it from LOR if possible.

At the moment I have a pixelnet flashed dongle running some SSC's on pixel arches.  I have a DMX flashed dongle running a DC board and I have a d-light dongle running some d-light AC boards. Xlights is controlling it all.

Can I do this same setup but run it with LOR?

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2014, »
Seems like you might be better off asking that question in the lightorama forums.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2014, »
Just my opinion

Only LOR can add pixelnet support. Since they are a business they probable don't have a reason to add diy support. Which won't help them sale more hardware.

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline RickeyS

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2014, »
Thanks all I kinda went in a different direction, I didn't want to buy new pixels, the ones I have has been on my roof for four years straight year around. I couldn't figure out to use LOR S3 software to control the pixels with RJs SSCs so I bought a tiny pix controller from holidaycoro and tried it with my pixels, low and behold works great. So I know not DIY but sure was easy and I like LOR S3 software. I have some of the first pixels from Ray, even though the outer tip has yellowed/darkened they look as good lit as the few I've had to replace. They are under the eaves so kinda of protected from the weather.

Again thanks
rick

Offline TheQueb

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2014, »
Seems like you might be better off asking that question in the lightorama forums.
I can't imagine that the LOR folks would be that helpful with DIY boards.  I figured I'd get better results here with folks that have started with LOR hardware and moved on to DIY hardware.  Surely someone other than me is running a combination and has figured out the configuartion...

Offline tbone321

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2014, »
I think that LOR is learning that abandoning the DIY people is a BAD idea.  They will not really lose any sales because the DIY people in most cases will not buy their equipment anyway but they may buy the software if it supports their equipment.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2014, »
I think that LOR is learning that abandoning the DIY people is a BAD idea.  They will not really lose any sales because the DIY people in most cases will not buy their equipment anyway but they may buy the software if it supports their equipment.

Maybe so, the owner of LOR did start out as a diy guy but move to commercial to make a living off of it.

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2014, »
I can't imagine that the LOR folks would be that helpful with DIY boards.  I figured I'd get better results here with folks that have started with LOR hardware and moved on to DIY hardware.  Surely someone other than me is running a combination and has figured out the configuartion...

Sorry I didn't help you out. There might be hope for you in the near future (maybe not this year) since the creator of xLights is currently working on the LOR software. He knows the diy systems. Of course I have no clue what their plans are and I knowledge or right to say they will support the diy hardware. I think most people who use LOR either converts their hardware to DMX and or use LSP or xLights to control the lights.

clear as mud??

Rick R.

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2014, »
I have used the USB dongle flashed with pixelnet to control DIY dla gear from LOR.   But if you need e1.31 then only an Etherdongle would work.   I have it's the dla Etherdongle with LOR and or works done.    LOR is just too much hassle
Anymore.  I sold
It all and find DIY dla gear very good and usually quite a bit better than the LOR gear .   I use xlights to run everything anymore.    No more lot sequencing for me ... That's stone ages .
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]