Author Topic: Mechanical Mover  (Read 1352 times)

Offline tindivall

Mechanical Mover
« on: November 04, 2014, »
As I start planning for next year I want to make sure I am keeping an eye on the COOP's for things I will need to do what I want.

I would like to add a mechanical prop to my display next year using a windshield wiper motor....   If anyone could provide their expertise on what I will need as far as Lynx equipment to do this I would greatly appreciate it...

Currently all I have done is lights via (ehterdongle / zues / acitve hub / & ssc) ... I am guessing the Bobcat DMX Servo Controller? but not sure and also not sue if will need more beyond that?

Offline kernal

Re: Mechanical Mover
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, »
I have seen somewhere on youtube land where they took the ws wiper motor and found a wall wart to give it power, then used an old motion light to trigger on when someone walked by. That i would say use an express so u can it for 15 more "plug n play" items!  They used it for halloween.
My license plate says blinky.

Offline tindivall

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, »
Yeah I am wanting to do it for halloween but not on motion sensor, just as something that I can schedule in my show to turn on and off etc...

Wanting to create essentially this: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login     I got the construction of it down, and have read how to program it to turn on & off, but not sure on the hardware side what I need to make it happen.

Offline kernal

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, »
Yep, I would say that the express or the ssr4 would be the way I would go.  Just for ease!  The express lets you tell it to turn on and off at certain times.  (I.e. On for 5 minutes and off for 5 minutes and what not)  Or ,if you just want to leave it on all the time, just plug the wall wart into a timer to turn on at dusk and off at whatever time you want.  I know there are a LOT of ppl on here that probably have better ideas tho!  And more experience than me!

Offline rick surette

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2014, »
I have built this prop and people love it. I use the express to turn it on an off at certain times.
I use a computer power supply, this provides the 12vdc for the stirring, 5 vdc for the head and the 3.3 vdc for the eyes.
Rick

Offline tindivall

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2014, »
Ok so looking at the Express and the SSR4 some things come mind...

Essentially the SSR4 is like a SSC and I would need to get a Freestyle (like a Hub) to control it?  Otherwise can get the Express (like a zues) that combines the freestyle and ssr4 into one?

Reading on both the Express and the Freestyle it says I must have a USB Dongle to program.... so guessing the Etherdongle I have is out?

If that is the case will it work running my show through etherdongle to zues then to active-hub boards that then dmx out to the express/freestyle?

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2014, »
I know one thing, that is bad behind! what is the amp draw on the ws wiper motor? if it's not too much, use a dumb string controller and that will give you two other channels for lighting? just a thought.  if not an ssr4 would be ideal, then you have 3 channels for lighting. good luck
Florence, KY

facebook.com/hearthstonelights

Offline tbone321

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2014, »
You can get the SSR4 with the DMX option which eliminates the need for the freestyle.  Yes, you will need something that has a DMX output and you can use the DMX output of a smart hub to do that.  There was talk of a standalone PixelNet to DMX converter but that seems to have died.  Just remember that neither the Express of SSR4 can directly control the wiper motor and will need to control a 120V relay that would switch the motor on and off but you will also need to deal with the kickback voltage when the relay turns off which is more difficult with an AC circuit.  Another and perhaps better option would be to use a DSC which would be controlling a 12V relay and since the DSC operates on DC, relay kickback can be eliminated with a diode in reverse polarity across the coil inputs.  Since it is also a PixelNet device, there is no need for any conversion to DMX.  Everything would be running on12V so you can use the same PS to operate the DSC, the relay, and the wiper motor.  I would use a 4 port pixelnet hub on the pixelnet output of the Zeus which is far less expensive than either 16 port hub and will provide the 12V terminals required to power the DSC without the need of custom cables.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline tindivall

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2014, »
Kernal I don't think I said thank you for your help so far, so thank you! :)

Rick ... the guy who posted the youtube video's name is Rick... Same Guy?? hehe

Duane here is a link to the motor I was looking at : You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Tbone I think I am just going to PM you from now on when I have questions after all you help on the zues so far and now posting here   <res.

I already had purchased a few 16 port active.. so could just use one of the ports off that with a DSC.

Offline kernal

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2014, »
You are more than welcome!  I try to help out what little i can!  Tbone is a LIFE SAVER!!!  he is ALWAYS helping anybody (just like everyone on here)!! +1 with the  <res.

And if the item your trying to get to move isnt to heavy, use one of the old motors from the wire reindeer heads! Those motors last WAY longer than the lights themselves! 

Also, I have an SSR4 with DMX that I am not going to use this year if you want to borrow it...  PM if your interested.

Offline tindivall

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2014, »
Just curious as I think about this more... Since I have quite a few SSC could I use that instead of DSC or do I need to get my hands on a few DSC

Offline tbone321

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2014, »
Sorry, but they are not interchangeable.  The DSC actually controls the voltage on its three outputs where a SSC sends out a control signal and the voltage remains at 12V.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving