Author Topic: Getting Started: Looking for Ideas  (Read 1598 times)

Offline Dr_Dirt

Getting Started: Looking for Ideas
« on: November 04, 2014, »
I'm looking to start my first diy lighting project. It may be a bit ambitious but I'm looking to build a small window display at my house.

Thank you in advance for any and all advice.

Offline t.jo13

• Coop Manager
Re: Getting Started: Looking for Ideas
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, »
To start with first  are you looking for ideas on a display or equipment, or both ?

Joe
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, by t.jo13 »

Offline Dr_Dirt

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, »
Mostly equipment but open to hearing some design ideas too. I have a vague idea in my head of what I want to do in the window but nothing set in stone. I was thinking a 16 channel controller to get me started but I understand that there are many varieties of equipment.

Offline t.jo13

• Coop Manager
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, »
The lynx express and a dmx dongle would be a great start. The express is 110 and will work with off the shelf lights. Programming can be done with free software. Read in the wiki about them as any other option would be time consuming with not to much equipment available this time of year if your intent is to put on a show this year.if you are just planning for next year then the sky is the limit and coops come along often . You will definatly have fun any way you go .

Joe

Offline tindivall

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2014, »
A lot depends on what that vision is and when you plan on doing this... if you are trying for this year it might be a little late in the game....

other things is you haven't really said what it is... are you just doing lights? regular incan/led lights from the store? are they rgb?  are you wanting to have objects that light up?

Depending on what you are wanting to do and to use will depend on what is suggested for equipment

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2014, »
I have a 16 channel lynx express kit and an enclosure to put it in. i'll take 90 for the kit and the enclosure, shipped(within the U.S. of course, if not you pay the difference).  It is not considered low voltage, it has 16 dimmable, 125v outlets. you will still need a USB  DONGLE  OR ETHERDONGLE to run it.  first and foremost, get in the wiki and choose a sequencing software, i use vixen 2.1. it was free and works just fine. i would start sequencing now if you want it done in time for Christmas. you don't need any equipment to start learning the sequencing.  if you work hard this month you could put a small show together and at least get your feet wet. i have a couple of sequences that i would share with you to get started and see what does what as far as effects. good luck

i put it where it belongs!
Florence, KY

facebook.com/hearthstonelights

Offline tindivall

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2014, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

That is what she said

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2014, »
 <la..
Florence, KY

Offline Dr_Dirt

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2014, »
Duane, I pass through Florence every Friday on my way home to Columbus. Would I be able to stop or meet up to make the exchange and maybe pick your brain a little?

Thanks,
Bill

I have a 16 channel lynx express kit and an enclosure to put it in. i'll take 90 for the kit and the enclosure, shipped(within the U.S. of course, if not you pay the difference).  It is not considered low voltage, it has 16 dimmable, 125v outlets. you will still need a USB  DONGLE  OR ETHERDONGLE to run it.  first and foremost, get in the wiki and choose a sequencing software, i use vixen 2.1. it was free and works just fine. i would start sequencing now if you want it done in time for Christmas. you don't need any equipment to start learning the sequencing.  if you work hard this month you could put a small show together and at least get your feet wet. i have a couple of sequences that i would share with you to get started and see what does what as far as effects. good luck

Offline Dr_Dirt

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2014, »
Thank you for all of the help so far guys. I'm trying to do something small for this year in our front window. It's about 8'w X 6'h, I guess I am looking for high voltage after reading some more in the wiki.

I have several strings of incan lights I was planning to use along wtih picking up some new led lights. If that is a taboo mixing the two, please let me know. No objects to light at this time but was considering getting three small wreaths to place at the top of the window with lighting.

I have downloaded Vixen to start programing but I have also heard that I can purchase sequencing? I would maybe do this for this year but in the long run want to sequence my own.

Thank you for current and future advice & help.

Bill

Offline tbone321

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2014, »
There are a few issues with mixing incans and LED's but they are not show stoppers.  The first one is that the LED's can put out a very different kind of light than the incans do.  Some LED strings (especially the older ones) have a very intense color, sometimes considered cartoonish when compared to the same color in an incan.  The newer LED's are a little better but there still can be a difference.  The only way to know is to light them up together and see how they look together.  With proper mixing on the wreath, you could create a pretty cool effect.

The other issue is that LED's and Incans have very different dimming curves.  The Express has the ability to load up to 4 different curves and assign them to the different channels as needed (1 per channel).  You can et by without them but it makes sequencing much easier if the dim level of 1 channel has the same brightness as the same dim level on another channel regardless of the type and color of light. 

I would stick with Vixen 2 this year.  It has the easiest learning curve and will do all that you need for this year.  You can also use the visualizer that comes with Vixen to start learning to sequence right away, even before you buy any equipment.  I would avoid buying any sequences at this time.  Unless you have a handle on modifying them to fit your display, they will probably be either useless to you or disappointing.   After this year, I would move to Vixen 3 or perhaps Xlights with Nutcracker.  These are much more advanced sequencing software and have the much more advanced learning curve to go with it but they will give you the ability to create some amazing displays when you get to that point.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline arw01

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2014, »
I am not aware of any to buy in Vixen, Nutcracker, LSP, etc. The only ones I know to buy would be from LOR.  But there are a LOT of Lor sixteen channel sequences that you can convert in several of the free programs.

What are you thinking for a song or two or three so we can maybe help you find them?

Offline Dr_Dirt

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2014, »
I would really like to find 5 or 6 songs so that we don't have to sit around and listen to the same two songs over and over again. My thoughts were if I could get my hands on that many I would be able to also sequence a couple/few myself between now and then.

My hope would maybe be able to have 10 songs we could cycle through by Christmas. I know it's ambitious but I have a lot of time on my hands working away from my family all week and nothing else really to do.

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2014, »
Duane, I pass through Florence every Friday on my way home to Columbus. Would I be able to stop or meet up to make the exchange and maybe pick your brain a little?

Thanks,
Bill

I would have no problem with that. what time of day do you come threw? I usually don't get off work until around 5.
Florence, KY

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2014, »
perfect timing for you Dr Dirt, you need one of these

Florence, KY