Author Topic: Trying to move to another computer...  (Read 1536 times)

Offline bassmants

Trying to move to another computer...
« on: November 05, 2014, »
Is there a way to copy everything to a different computer?  I am not sure how to get models/xseq's etc. over to another computer and load properly.  I had to remake the models exactly, but the .xseq files don't load any of the routines I have built.  They will play in the preview, but the data in the boxes does not show up on the Nutcracker tab.   What files do I need to load/move to get the two computers the same?  Sorry if it seems confusing.  I am trying to be able to work on my laptop and when needed copy files back and forth to keep both up-to-date.

Terry

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
Re: Trying to move to another computer...
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, »
All you have to do is copy the xlights data folder to the other computer.  I use my desktop (in the basement), my wife's desktop (in the kitchen), my laptop and an old laptop in my workshop.  I keep all the xlights data copied to a USB flash drive and sync it to each computer.  Especially sync to the USB drive after you have made any changes or added new stuff.  I've also used network connections, but would forget to do the sync so now I keep a usb flash drive with me that always has the latest files.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline smeighan

• Nutcracker RGB Sequence Builder
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, »
as jim said, just copy your show directory.

example: my show directory is C:\Users\sean\Documents\xmas2014

if i go into there and copy everything to a usb flash drive, I then go to a new computer and copy the contents of the flash drive to
c:\newshow_xmas2014

i then launch xlights on the new computer and the first thing i do is set the directory with a "File,Set Show Folder" command to c:\newshow_xmas2014
it should come up and be an exact copy of what you had before.

everything that is a model is stored in your xlights_rgbeffects.xml files.
all the data in a grid is stored in the sequence xml files.
xseq files are the least important files you have as they can be recreated with the sequence xml and the sound file. If you lose the sequence xml then you have lost all the work you did setiing timing, putting in effects. None of that info is stored in an xseq file. xseq is a fully rendered, binary file that is used for playing the show.

follow the copy procedure above and you get all your pictures, sound files, movie files, xseq files and all xml files. In other words, eveything.
Sean
Littleton, CO
Latest releases You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
xLights/Nutcracker Forum You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Fbook You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline twooly

• Blah
    • Todd Woolums
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, »
I personally have my xlights folder on dropbox and then configure all my computers to that folder on dropbox.  Don't need to carry /move anything dropbox does the sync for me.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline bassmants

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2014, »
Guys, thanks for the replies.  I will try tonight and see if I get it.   <fp.