Author Topic: Etherdongle issue?/programming issue?  (Read 4066 times)

Offline txag2008

• Lights of Nazareth
Etherdongle issue?/programming issue?
« on: November 12, 2014, »
I used my EtherDongle flawlessly last year after getting it flashed with pixelnet firmware by a nearby user last year.  Up until a few days ago I’ve been able to use my 16-port hub, 4-port hub, etc in order to output to my lights.  All of a sudden I started having issues with my lights not turning on/off and currently I’m unable to transmit using the SS utility or from Xlights, etc.

After re-flashing my 16port hub and a few of my SSC V4s I figured my last hope would be to re-flash my EtherDongle.  I followed the instructions in the Wiki to reprogram my EtherDongle with Pixelnet firmware.  (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login).  I did it exclusively from MPLAB IDE since every time I try to use the Standalone programmer I get error messages. (Pickit 3 Programmer V1.0 from the wiki)

I am able to start the Standalone Pickit 3 Programmer WITHOUT the usb cable plugged in.  Once the program is started I plug in the usb and click on ‘Tools > Check Communications’ and get the following error. (I'm seeing this same error on 3 different computers I've tried)

Whenever I try to start the Standalone Pickit 3 Programmer WITH the usb cable to the programmer plugged in, I get the following.

Is it discouraged to program solely within MPLAB IDE?  Is there any reason the EtherDongle wouldn’t function when doing so?

I’m at a loss…..
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, by txag2008 »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
Re: Etherdongle issue?/programming issue?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, »
I would use MPLAB IPE not IDE.  It is more similar to the old programmer.  You do have to install the full MPLAB software suite as IPE is really just a simplified shell that calls modules installed by the full install. Pretty simple to use.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline txag2008

• Lights of Nazareth
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, »
Thanks for the suggestion Jim.  I had actually tried that before using the IDE.  Since your suggestion I reinstalled the IPE only and looked to have successfully programmed the pic as seen in the screenshot below.  (although I'm not getting a checksum of '0000' as shown in the wiki)

Is there any reason the EtherDongle wouldn’t function when programmed through the IPE?  I've seen posts here suggesting to program using the Standalone Pickit 3 Programmer V1.0 from the wiki.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, »
I can't think of any reason the ETD would be partial to any flashing method that worked.  Once a hex file is loaded successfully or unsuccessfully the etd would not have any way to know what was used.  All the problems I have ever seen had to do with bad components or bad soldering.  Mine have all been bad soldering, except for early this year when I finally learned that my problem was a bad pickit3.  But after microchip replaced it I have not had any problems other than user caused ones.  I was going to say user stupidity, but decided to be nicer to myself.  I had to learn to slow down and double check my work.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline txag2008

• Lights of Nazareth
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2014, »
    Still no blinky flashing through Xlights using the exact same setup I used successfully the past 12mo.  Just up until a few days ago everything was working great....

The green/yellow lights blink on my Magicjack when sending data.

I've tried all of the below with no luck:
    • Re-flashing EtherDongle, 16port Active Hub, SSCs
    • Using EtherDongle with my 4port hub instead of 16port hub
    • Re-flowing all solder joints on the EtherDongle.
    • Testing continuity on my 3-pin connectors on my SSCs
    • Testing the cat5 cables I'm using

I'm desperate, is there anything I'm forgetting to troubleshoot??

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2014, »
I spent a lot of time looking at hardware once only to realize I had forgotten to click the "output to lights" box in xlights.  It's the little things that bite you, keep looking.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline tbone321

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2014, »
How are you supplying power to the nodes?
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline txag2008

• Lights of Nazareth
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2014, »
How are you supplying power to the nodes?

When using the 16port Active Hub I'm using an ATX PS. 

When using the 4port hub I use a generic 12V PS, similar to this, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, by txag2008 »

Offline txag2008

• Lights of Nazareth
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2014, »
It really seems as if the problem is with the EtherDongle.  I'm using the same tested cat5 cables as I was when it originally worked, I've tried multiple SSC's to rule out a bad SSC, I've tried both hubs (the 4-port hub is foolproof). 

Within the SS utility, when ever I click 'transfer' the yellow light on the MagJack stays yellow, then when I click 'stop' it goes back to intermittent blinking.  Because it is doing this, I would assume data is getting to the EtherDongle correctly. 

Is there any way for me to test/measure if data is getting past the EtherDongle?  Any way to check for suspect or bad components on the EtherDongle?

Offline caretaker

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2014, »
There is a program called SACNview You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login which shows if streaming ACN is being sent out but I doubt it will show if the Ether Dongle is outputing.  It least you would know that the data is being sent to the ether dongle.   
Jeff Squires

Offline txag2008

• Lights of Nazareth
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2014, »
There is a program called SACNview You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login which shows if streaming ACN is being sent out but I doubt it will show if the Ether Dongle is outputing.  It least you would know that the data is being sent to the ether dongle.

As I suspected, it does seem that I'm getting data past my computer.  Still no way of knowing why it's not getting past the EtherDongle...

Offline tbone321

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2014, »
Make sure that when you reflashed the ETD, that you used the correct firmware.  There is firmware for the Conductor, DMX, PixelNet, and even different universe groups.  Is the green LED on the ETD lit?
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline txag2008

• Lights of Nazareth
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2014, »
Issue resolved thanks to some gracious troubleshooting with another DIYLA member. 

I still want to confirm a few details before posting what I found.

Offline txag2008

• Lights of Nazareth
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2014, »
Update:  My setup - using all v4 SSC's with a 16port Hub 

I have 2 different hex files downloaded for the V4 SSC.  From last year I have, "smart_strings_v4_v2" and I also have the current one from the wiki, "Smart String Controller V4-7".

Whenever I flash my PIC with the "smart_strings_v4_v2" firmware my lights don't work and I'm unable to program using the SS Utility.  When I take the same SSC and flash with the "Smart String Controller V4-7" firmware, I am then able to successfully use the SS Utility (smart_strings_v4_v2_util_v3 that RJ posted in this the the following thread, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login......any other SS utility version doesn't work)

My problem would now be completely solved except that most of my strings are BGR instead of RGB.  With the SS Utility whenever I leave the default RGB in place my lights work except red is blue and blue is red.  Whenever I change the selection in the SS Utility to BGR and program the lights there is no output.  Similar to what was occurring in these two posts, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, & You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Is there a certain version of the SS Utility that has to be used with a certain firmware for the V4?