Author Topic: Need help with Excel  (Read 552 times)

Offline kernal

Need help with Excel
« on: November 13, 2014, »
I am looking for some help with a problem I am having in Excel.  So, if anybody would be willing to help me out, please send me a PM. 

I run bowling tournaments in our area..  easiest way to compile scores is excel.  I have already done the hard stuff and have all my functions in place to add and sort. 

I have been asked to run some high school tournaments... here in lies the problem...

They like to/need to know high games for each game.  I know I can sort per the row/column.  what I want to know is if I can set up another page to show high games for each game, with out messing up the first place thru last place.   for instance...  If I have all my names in B, school name in C, games 1 thru 6 in D thru I, can I do a function that will pull out each game over ( say 200) in D, E, F, G, H, and I?  and display that on another sheet? 

If you understand this, give me a PM and if you need to see the file to see what I have done, I can send to you so you can see what I am trying to do. 

Thanks everyone!

kernal
My license plate says blinky.

Offline deplanche

Re: Need help with Excel
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, »
PM sent

Offline meman

Re: Need help with Excel
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2014, »
Excel gurus will quickly point you in the direction of some VB code, but excel already has simple functions built in for the common man

Pulling the high score for each of he six games is pretty easy. Just use the =MAX and specify the range
Assuming you have entered stats on "Sheet1" for 35 contestants playing six games with scores entered in columns D - I, and had a header identifying each column (the first row). Choose a cell in in Sheet2 and enter "=MAX(Sheet1!D2:D36)". Then copy the formula and past it to the next 5 cells. Excel does the recalculations for you and displays the high score for each game.

Displaying the games over 200, you could use the IF function, but you would have to have the whole roster in Sheet 2 and paste a formula like this in every cell from D2 - I36  "=IF(Sheet1!D2 > 200, Sheet1!D2, "")".
You could also apply "conditional formatting" to your existing Sheet1 matrix to automatically highlight only cells with scores over 200.

Good Luck !
Mike E.