Author Topic: Etherdongle issue or SS issue?  (Read 1435 times)

Offline txag2008

• Lights of Nazareth
Etherdongle issue or SS issue?
« on: November 15, 2014, »
I already have a thread going in the 'EtherDongle' forum but I'm seeing that doesn't get near the traffic as this forum.  (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login)

I'm thinking I have an issue with my EtherDongle, but really non of the setup is working right now.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline txag2008

• Lights of Nazareth
Re: Etherdongle issue or SS issue?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, »
Issue resolved thanks to some gracious troubleshooting with another DIYLA member. 

I still want to confirm a few details before posting what I found.

Offline txag2008

• Lights of Nazareth
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, »
Update:  My setup - using all v4 SSC's with a 16port Hub 

I have 2 different hex files downloaded for the V4 SSC.  From last year I have, "smart_strings_v4_v2" and I also have the current one from the wiki, "Smart String Controller V4-7".

Whenever I flash my PIC with the "smart_strings_v4_v2" firmware my lights don't work and I'm unable to program using the SS Utility.  When I take the same SSC and flash with the "Smart String Controller V4-7" firmware, I am then able to successfully use the SS Utility (smart_strings_v4_v2_util_v3 that RJ posted in this the the following thread, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login......any other SS utility version doesn't work)

My problem would now be completely solved except that most of my strings are BGR instead of RGB.  With the SS Utility whenever I leave the default RGB in place my lights work except red is blue and blue is red.  Whenever I change the selection in the SS Utility to BGR and program the lights there is no output.  Similar to what was occurring in these two posts, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, & You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Is there a certain version of the SS Utility that has to be used with a certain firmware for the V4?

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, »
Yes I believe you already answer your question. Older versions of the firmware only work with older version of the utility. There were changes made under the hood that caused compatibility problems with the different versions. Mostly to add functionality to the SSC.

Strange that changing the color order is stopping the lights from working. Have you tried different color orders to see if the problem only is related to BGR order. I know each was tested in beta.

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline txag2008

• Lights of Nazareth
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, »
Strange that changing the color order is stopping the lights from working. Have you tried different color orders to see if the problem only is related to BGR order. I know each was tested in beta

I can set them to other color configurations such as 'GRB' & 'BRG' but I'm getting nothing when I set them to 'BGR'. 

I'm seeing the same thing as the last 3 posts of this thread, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, »
Ok thanks for the info.

Sadly I can't update the firmware to fix the problem. Have to add it to RJs list.

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required