Author Topic: First build Test Results in some Leds not working  (Read 1906 times)

Offline KrisFulford

• My website
Hey all, so I bought my Express in a coop in Jan of 12 and am just now getting around to putting it together.  :(

I got it all put together over the last couple of days taking my time. I double and triple checked everything as it went together. Once finished I ran the self test. Below you can see the test but I will tell you what it shows.

The text scroll is a lot slower than what I see in RJ's video. Next the channel 6 LED is on all the time (It is not full brightness though) but channel 10, 11 and 12 do not come on at all. All other channel LEDs work as expected. At the end I get LED 2 and 4 (With 6 still lit as well).

I tried swapping the opto chip from 6 and 10 and still received the same thing (6 dim all the time and 10 off). I also tried swapping the opto on channel 6 and 7 with the same results (6 dim all the time and 7 working fine).

From reading on here it it sounds like it may be that the PIC needs to be reflashed? I have no idea of how to do this though.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, by KrisFulford »

Offline bisquit476

• Patron Member
Re: First build Test Results in some Leds not working
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, »
In looking at your video, I don't know what's up with channel 6 staying lit all the time, maybe a bad triac? The 3 that don't light up may have the LED's installed backwards, they are not lighting "in time" with the rest of the board. I would look there first. I'm not sure if the wireless header has the shunt on it or not, I don't think that makes a difference though. Check the LED's first, then take some high resolution, in focus pictures of the front and back of the board and post them here so others may take a look. good luck.

Offline KrisFulford

• My website
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, »
I am pretty sure I have the LEDs in right. I checked them as I was putting them in, after I soldered in one leg, as I was straightening up the LEDs and again before I trimmed off the legs. I could be wrong though, is there a way to check them without removing them and turning them around?

Here is the top and bottom of the board. Let me know if there is something that you can not see that you need me to take another picture of.

Thanks!!!

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, »
not sure if it affects the performance of the express but the wireless shunt should be over both shunts if not running wireless. when you position it the way you have it, you would be using wireless. it should be terminated the same as your termination shunts just above the mode switch
Florence, KY

facebook.com/hearthstonelights

Offline caretaker

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2014, »
With what your experiencing I would pull the PIC chip and re-solder the leads for PIC socket. If that doesn't fix it re-flash the PIC.  To re-flash the PIC you will need a PICKit 3 OR find someone in your area who has one that would be willing to re-flash it for you.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, by caretaker »
Jeff Squires
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2014, »
There is a good deal on a pickit III in sale or trade right now.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline KrisFulford

• My website
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2014, »
I just went through and reflowed all the solder joints on the PIC socket and anything that has a track to it or one of the 4 channels that are not working correctly.

After doing this I am still seeing the same thing as before.

I made a test light with a C9 light so I could see what I am getting output. Channels 6, 10, 11, 12 are all not giving any output to the lights (Even 6 had no output even though the LED is lit dimly). I did check channel 7 and it was working perfectly fine.

Do you guys think it is the PIC that needs to be reflashed, or could it be something else?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, by KrisFulford »

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2014, »
Greetings,,,

The pic needs to be reflashed.

Keith
"Now I know the only foe is time." -Moody Blues

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2014, »
Keith I'd dead on with this. Reflash the pic will fix this. We have seen this before.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline KrisFulford

• My website
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2014, »
Thanks for the info all. I ordered a PicKit3 that should be here next week. Once I reflash the PIC I will post up the results.

Offline KrisFulford

• My website
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2014, »
I received my Pickit 3 in the mail the other day. So after playing around with it working through figuring out how to get the Pikkit firmware loaded for the Pic on the board, I was finally able to get the pic flashed and all of my issues were resolved.

Thanks all for the help!!!