Author Topic: Advice Needed on Troubleshooting SSCv4 Controller [SOLVED]  (Read 1478 times)

Offline dschneck62350

I have a newly assembled SSCv4 controller that is not functioning properly.   When I test using Xlights on the Test tab, it flashes OK with speed set to 50.  Any faster than that, it begins to lag a fraction of a second on every other color change.   For example on R-G-B, red is OK, green lags, blue is OK, then red lags, and so on.   I'm positive the problem is with the controller and not anything else because I've tried switching components and it's always with this controller.    I've tried reflowing the solder joints, but it still happens.  Any advice on troubleshooting is appreciated.   I have a megatree with a star and have moved this controller to the star so the lag is not as noticeable, but would still like to correct.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, by dschneck62350 »

Offline tbone321

Re: Advice Needed on Troubleshooting SSCv4 Controller
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, »
IIRC, 50ms is what the controller was set to operate on.  How much faster do you really need for it to go?
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline dschneck62350

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, »
Attached is a picture of the control on the Xlights Test tab I was referring to.   In this case, I don't think 50 on the slider equates to 50ms.  Just halfway between 0 and 100 cycle speed.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, »
Is this happening to all of the V4 SSC's or just one of them?
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline dschneck62350

I swapped the PIC from a controller that was working and it worked, so the PIC must be flaky and I am ordering a new one from Mouser.   Thanks.

Offline zwiller

Reflash if you can.  If it working at all, that should fix it. 

If you are ordering, order 10 to get the price break.  While your at it get 10 fuses for the hub too.  Some other guys are lucky but I am not and will typically need to replace these from time to time.  Normally, when the fuse goes so does the pic... 
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline dschneck62350

Thanks for the tips.   When I reflash the PIC, it appears to flash successfully.   However, if I disconnect and reconnect with the PICkit and Verify the PIC again, I get the message "Verify operation of Program Memory failed".   So it is not good after all.

Offline zwiller

Oh well.  Yep, it's shot.  Mine usually throw "no device detected" when kaput.  In addition, to pics getting fried, I have a half dozen or so SSC of various versions that no longer work.  They were built, tested, and run in my show and now for some reason they no longer work.  I would advocate having a few SSC (10%) spares on hand for backups.  Saves a trip a ladder etc. 
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."