Author Topic: seven segment leds inop  (Read 1320 times)

Offline lucky2710

seven segment leds inop
« on: November 17, 2014, »
Just curious on how to resolve this issue. (i.e) where they get power from and where i need to probe and  result i should or should not see.

My board is working 100% except the led display isn't working. I can set start channel through config utility heck i can run the onboard self test by the buttons on the board and set the start channel that way just by counting how many times i've pushed each button. And it runs fine over dmx from vixen. But the led display never comes on. i'm not super worried about it it doesn't affect my show for this year but if anybody has any ideas i would still like to repair the issue.

This board is 3 years old and the past 2 seasons it hasn't given me any issues put it out last week and went to set the start channel and the seven segment led's never came on i thought my board was toast at first, changed the PIC and programed it and no change so i started using my meter comparing my results to another fully functioning board and i cant find any major differences ya there a few tenth of a volt different but doesn't seem like for example  x.14 vs x.23 would cause any issues and all of my resistors are within 1-2 ohms of what they are rated for heck on the screwy board they are closer to their rating than the perfect board. So could it be the led displays themselves? or what drives them? And why does the board still function properly everywhere else except there?

Thanks for any input yall might have.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
Re: seven segment leds inop
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, »
If none of the LEDs are working it is likely an issue related to the big chip saa1064. Meaning bad connection Ect or bad chip.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline lucky2710

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, »
ok ill swap them tomorrow and see what happens. and if thats it ill order a few spares. Is that a common issue? First time ive ran across it.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, »
He said it could also be a solder joint or connection on the socket and not necessarily the chip.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline lucky2710

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, »
i know but i have multiple controllers so the quickest way to eliminate the chip is to swap them between controllers. and the connections look fine visually but if that dont work ill reflow the joints and if still nothing ill replace the socket. ill deal with it tomorrow. But thanks for yalls help. This one just had me baffled until realized everything else was working properly. Then i was relived but confused. So ill run with this info tomorrow and see what i come up with.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, by lucky2710 »

Offline n1ist

• Coop Manager
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2014, »
Check the 2700pF capacitor next to the SAA1064; a poor connection there would keep it from scanning the display.  On some caps, the insulation went a bit further up the lead than usual, and may be in the hole rather than the lead itself.
/mike