Author Topic: possible alternative to ray wu  (Read 8326 times)

Offline ElectricCraft1

• Dimming for the first time in '09.
possible alternative to ray wu
« on: November 24, 2014, »
I have a possible alternative to ray wu in the works. This is someone i have a long term relationship with and have asked him to provide the diy commnity with an inexpensive pixel solution that has good quality. I will provide his contact info as soon as i have the pricing where it should be. I believe he will do smart strings for $0.25 per pixel, 2.5 inch spacing. Quality control will also be of the utmost importance.  Besides smart strings, what other requirements do you have? I wil arrange the best possible prices for all that we need. Again, this will be direct buy.

Branden
Branden

"If you can't go big, why do it?"

Offline tbone321

Re: possible alternative to ray wu
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, »
That sounds good but that light spacing there may be a little tight. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline ElectricCraft1

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, »
Please tell me what is required, or preferred.  Any other types of pixels that you can think of as well. Once i have requirements, i will arrange everything with the vendor.
Branden

Offline twooly

• Blah
    • Todd Woolums
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, »
Spacing I've always used in the past is 3 inches for my holes so the wiring would probably be 3.5.  Flex strips besides the nodes is the other type I use.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline ElectricCraft1

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, »
I assume the 1809 ic?  Just making sure because I am going to get pricing for all used pixels, therefore its not just diy, but also diyc community as well.  the 3 1/2 is noted, thx.
Branden

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, »
I am liking the newer WS2812b pixels at 60 pixels/meter.
I like the WS2812 panels -- 8x16 pixels.

Strips and bullet-style nodes... are both biggies.

3-core and 4-core waterproof connectors... and extension cords are good to have.

with the pixel strings, having the ability to get waterproof connectors already attached is nice -- but also specifying pinouts so that the string are compatible with our existing gear is a extra nice feature.

5v and 12v options are good.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline twooly

• Blah
    • Todd Woolums
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, »
This is what I use in my show

Nodes - (1804)

Flex Strip (1809)

Nodes - (2811)

Offline tbone321

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2014, »
Please tell me what is required, or preferred.  Any other types of pixels that you can think of as well. Once i have requirements, i will arrange everything with the vendor.

I would say that 3 1/2 inch spacing is the preferred size.  Many like to use 3 inch and that extra half an inch makes mounting the nodes SOOOOO much easier.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2014, »
I want to be clear on this. There is no coop on this. The op is only going to provide where to go order them. He has informed me he is not involved in the company in any way and makes nothing from the sell. Anything more would be a violation of our rules. Also as always the forum is not involved and any issues you incounter is between you and the seller.  In the past similar has been done and there were issues so it is buyer beware.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline ElectricCraft1

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2014, »
I agree with rj, but please be aware i am doing a lot of footwork to make things as easy as possible.  We will have our own part numbers with prices specific to those numbers, as well as a keyword used when ordering so the vendor is aware that these are the prices for the community.   I am making no profit from these sales, just trying to make the lights more cost effective since there is still a significant markup between dead cost and wholesale.  I am in the process of making an excel spreadsheet with all different types of lights used not only on dla, but as many of the diy communities as i can, sinc c e most use ray wu.  As soon as this spreadsheet is complete, the vendor and i will work out the specifics.  This will not help us this year, but will be available fror an option very early 2015.  I hope to have prices about 15 to 20% above dead cost.  Shipping will have multiple options, hopefully as well to keep costs down.  Any questions dont hesitate to ask
Branden

Offline ElectricCraft1

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2014, »
Ok, so the spreadsheet is mostly done.  All I have left is pictures and a few items for Falcon Christmas and auschristmas.  Please check it out and let me know if any changes need to be made, or things added.

Thanks,

Branden
Branden

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2014, »
In the past, Ray has made-things-right when there has been a factory or design issue with his product.  He will send replacements, and has even refunded money when the defect rates go beyond an acceptable level.

The Technicolor pixels last year were a fiasco... but Ray still made us whole despite orders of thousands of dollars.

Will this new supplier be just as accommodating?   with even lower margins, I would expect the customer experience to suffer.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline ElectricCraft1

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2014, »
I have made sure that quality control is very important, but yes, there will be warranty involved.  I have purchased other types of led products from him, and never once had issues, with quality or warranty.   For him, he would be gaining thousands of new customers.
Branden

Offline ElectricCraft1

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2014, »
Just sent the spreadsheet to the vendor today, ill keep everyone informed.
Branden

Offline arw01

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2014, »
Be curious how this pans out.  I've been buying some Minleon products to get into the real quality items..