Author Topic: What the heck is a V4?  (Read 3053 times)

Offline Blackbeard

What the heck is a V4?
« on: May 28, 2009, »
I saw the coop announcement, but firstly, don't understand why a V3 coop is running simultaneously with a V4 coop. So we have a first fourth and a fourth 3rd!!

So, I'm guessing that the V4 PCB must be a real change from V3 to do so. Where is the changelog, or whatever you call it, for the V4?

Will the heatsinks be 22K gold plated ;)?

steve

« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, by Blackbeard »

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: What the heck is a V4?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, »
Hi Steve,

LE v4 pcb basically removes the 32 - 180 ohm resistors. Making it easier to build. It also includes another jumper to make it easier to switch between the wired or wireless modular.

Both of the current LE coops will be getting the new v4 board.

No gold plating for the heat sinks (Sorry)

Rj did post what the changes were in the "Suggestion for safely change" topic in the Express forum.

Hope that helps some

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline Blackbeard

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, »
I was kinda thinking that it might be those safety changes version, but that thread seems to be a little unsettled, if you know what I mean.

Thanks.

steve

Offline bugless

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, »
Just wondering...

I have 2 version 3 kits from coop #3 that haven't been built yet, and was thinking of buying 2 more in the current #4 coop.

For the sake of consistency I would like to have them all the same.  Does the version 3 kit have all the parts needed to populate a version 4 board?  (e.g. I would buy 2 kits and then 2 Version 4 boards and use them rather than the version 3).

Doug

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, »
Just wondering...

I have 2 version 3 kits from coop #3 that haven't been built yet, and was thinking of buying 2 more in the current #4 coop.

For the sake of consistency I would like to have them all the same.  Does the version 3 kit have all the parts needed to populate a version 4 board?  (e.g. I would buy 2 kits and then 2 Version 4 boards and use them rather than the version 3).

Doug

You only need 1 additional 2 pin headers and 1 extra shunt to jumper it with.

In other words you would need 1  more mouser PN # 538-22-03-2021 and 1 more mouser PN# 649-65474-002LF  for each Version 3 pcb you want to switch the PCB out to a version 4 pcb.  This is $.29 worth of parts.

you would not use 32 of the resistors you were sent on the Version 3 pcbs with the version 4 pcbs.

Does this help you?

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline vairmoose

• Patron Member
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, »
Rick added an addendum to the Express manual in the Wiki that provides a little clarification on the  differences between the PCB versions of the Express.   When the changes to the manual have been settled, it will be posted in addition to a link to the "new" BOM for the v4.   

Larry
3 today (standing at light switch, holding two lighters)
Going live in 2012

Offline REM

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2009, »
While we're on the subject... Rick, are you a beta tester?  It might help speed the manual updates if Rick did beta testing or if he worked with one of them to get pictures, etc.  (Not that Rick has to do it)

In cases where the final beta boards are just like what will be in the co-op (if that's possible) we could get a jump start on the manual updates.  And if that doesn't work, maybe overnight his (or whoever will do the manual) co-op package so that he can get his assembled and then update the manual before everyone else gets theirs.

Real small changes like the LE v4 aren't big deals but v3 was and the wireless will be too of course.  Just a thought to stay ahead of the curve (pun intended).

--Ron

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2009, »
Heres what a V4 is:   ;D

RJ

Offline davel295

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2009, »
Can an unbuilt ver3 be converted to ver4?

davel295

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2009, »

davel295

Why?

The only difference is 16 less 180 and 16 less 330 resistors and one extra jumper. V4 is just a tad easier to assemble. To convert you will have to put wires in place of the resistors. The jumper is only needed if you want to quickly switch back and forth for wireless or wired use without swapping out or in the RS-485 chip.

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2009, »

davel295

If you purchase Ver 4 PCB's and put the parts on it. Plus buy an extra 2 pin header and shunt for it.   Then throw away the 32 resistors you will not have a spot to put in.

RJ

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2009, »
While we're on the subject... Rick, are you a beta tester?  It might help speed the manual updates if Rick did beta testing or if he worked with one of them to get pictures, etc.  (Not that Rick has to do it)

In cases where the final beta boards are just like what will be in the co-op (if that's possible) we could get a jump start on the manual updates.  And if that doesn't work, maybe overnight his (or whoever will do the manual) co-op package so that he can get his assembled and then update the manual before everyone else gets theirs.

Real small changes like the LE v4 aren't big deals but v3 was and the wireless will be too of course.  Just a thought to stay ahead of the curve (pun intended).

--Ron

Sorry I am not on the Beta team. But as soon as RJ sends me the new pictures the v4 Manual is ready to go. The v4 bom is already in the wiki (but don't tell anyone LOL)

Rick R.

Offline REM

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2009, »
Good deal Rick.  Thanks!

Offline RPM

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2009, »

davel295

Why?

The only difference is 16 less 180 and 16 less 330 resistors and one extra jumper. V4 is just a tad easier to assemble. To convert you will have to put wires in place of the resistors. The jumper is only needed if you want to quickly switch back and forth for wireless or wired use without swapping out or in the RS-485 chip.

Rick R.

That's kind of what I did when I built my LE.   I didn't want to have to solder all those resistors if it wasn't necessary, so I left the 330ohm and 180ohm (the ones with the dots printed on the board) resistors off of the board.
I left the LED leads long on the "+" side and bent them over to jumper to the pad where bottom of where the 330ohm resistor would have been.

Here's some pics